two power sources, one cable??

Status
Not open for further replies.
the situation is this; two circuits powered from two different transformers, one trans. giving 13.8, the other circuit is to long and its trans. puts out 12.9 The proposal is to join the two transformers together one at each end, by means of a switch in order to get 13.8, in other words feed one circuit from two different fused sources. I would think you would be able to see this when they threw the switch from a mile or two away, at least the harmonics would fry the eletronics that were on the circuits. Dont know and can't find it in the book, please send help my way, thanks. Real nervous about this one.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
the situation is this; two circuits powered from two different transformers, one trans. giving 13.8, the other circuit is to long and its trans. puts out 12.9 The proposal is to join the two transformers together one at each end, by means of a switch in order to get 13.8, in other words feed one circuit from two different fused sources. I would think you would be able to see this when they threw the switch from a mile or two away, at least the harmonics would fry the eletronics that were on the circuits. Dont know and can't find it in the book, please send help my way, thanks. Real nervous about this one.

For that much voltage drop the circuit must be many miles long or be heavily loaded. If that is the secondary voltage, what is the primary voltage? Are you sure the taps are set correctly? The reason I ask is it sounds like one transformer has a different setting than the other. I assume this is three phase? Have you checked the phasing to see if they will even go together? Are the primaries fed from the same source? You don't want to be parallelling that much together without knowing alot more than you have given.

Phil Corso

Yukonjack... presuming the two transformers are connected to the same source, then the difference in votage-drop should not materially prevent you from paralleling the two sources.

If you are unsure, then check the voltages across each phase of the switch used for closure.

You will find them syncronized, but there will not be a significant delta-voltage acreoss the contacts.

I'm quite sure that an experienced lineman will concur!

Regards, Phil Corso

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It will likely work fine. this is exactly how the grid works. basically everything is in parallel conencted by a mish mash of wires going in all directions.

ok, I have had the chance to double check this half baked idea. We are now coming off the same buss and the circuit is now in parellel. That was what was scaring me, two different sources. Thanks for your help on this. I should have been a dentist.

Status
Not open for further replies.