This code allegiance must stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NEC is simply a guideline, written by stuffy union goons and manufacturer's representatives and their attorneys. We know what works, and citing certain sections of the latest code does not make you a better electrician, it exposes you as a rule-following sycophant.

iwire

Staff member
Well don't hold back say what you think Dick. :D

As proven by countless posts here, and a million failed inspections many of us don't know how to do safe installations. You may be the exception though. :cool:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The NEC is simply a guideline, written by stuffy union goons and manufacturer's representatives and their attorneys. We know what works, and citing certain sections of the latest code does not make you a better electrician, it exposes you as a rule-following sycophant.
And I for one am glad you got that off your chest but, I must point out that you really need to look at the CMP members and who they represent. You are correct tha the IBEW and Manufacturers are represented but, there are Engineers and Non-Union representation as well.

Now, can you tell me where a Back Hoe is mentioned in the NEC?

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
sounds like the rant I hear after issuing certain folks rejection tags.
I'm sure, unlike Richard, most often they don't own a copy of the Code as it's written by the folk he describes.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the same folks I referenced in Post 5 could speak in anything other than monosyllabic terms, I'm sure that would already have been confirmed. Best I can get so far is hyphenated descriptions.:D

celtic

fahrenheit-451-DVDcover.jpg

..its on DVD....LOL

nhfire77

Wow, did you have a bad day, or did you lose a job to a union 'goon' who's married to a sales rep for a manufacturer?

I'm actually sorry I just typed that, you want a hug?

cmreschke

We should all burn our code books and just start installing electrical any which way but compliant. I mean really who needs stinking boxes when we can just tape it to the wall and open splice and terminate devices. Would make things a lot cheaper to install. Im gonna start using lamp cord for plugs. Kids will only grab it one time. Survival of the fittest and smartest.

kwired

Electron manager
Have you read Article 90? The following is 90.4 plus commentary from NEC plus:

90.4 Enforcement. This Code is intended to be suitable for mandatory application by governmental bodies that exercise legal jurisdiction over electrical installations, including signaling and communications systems, and for use by insurance inspectors. The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the Code has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and for granting the special permission contemplated in a number of the rules.

Some localities do not adopt the NEC, but even in those localities, installations that comply with the current Code are prima facie evidence that the electrical installation is safe.

Section 90.4 advises that all materials and equipment used under the requirements of the Code are subject to the approval of the authority having jurisdiction. The text of 90.7, 110.2, and 110.3, along with the definitions of the terms approved, identified (as applied to equipment), labeled, and listed, is intended to provide a basis for the authority having jurisdiction to make the judgments that fall within that particular area of responsibility.

The phrase ?including signaling and communication systems? emphasizes that, indeed, these systems are also subject to enforcement.

By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit alternative methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining effective safety.

The authority having jurisdiction is responsible for interpreting the specific rules of the Code. This paragraph empowers the authority having jurisdiction, using special permission (written consent), to permit alternative methods where specific rules are not established in the Code. For example, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in industrial occupancies, research and testing laboratories, and other occupancies where the specific type of installation is not covered in the Code.

This Code may require new products, constructions, or materials that may not yet be available at the time the Code is adopted. In such event, the authority having jurisdiction may permit the use of the products, constructions, or materials that comply with the most recent previous edition of this Code adopted by the jurisdiction.

The last paragraph of 90.4 permits the authority having jurisdiction to waive a new Code requirement during the interim period between acceptance of a new edition of the NEC and the availability of a new product, construction, or material redesigned to comply with the increased safety required by the latest edition. Establishing a viable future effective date in each section of the NEC is difficult because the time needed to change existing products and standards, as well as to develop new materials and test methods, usually is not known at the time the latest edition of the Code is adopted.

Your local government can establish any codes they want. It is much easier to adopt a standard that has had many other professionals do the work to establish than it would be for them to come up with something that even comes close and for them to provide credibility for what they have come up with. They can make amendments to the NEC or any other standards they may wish to make a code, but is usually pretty minimal amendments when there is any.

Then you have the lawsuit happy world we live in and it is protection both for you as well as your customers to install to nationally recognized standards, even if it doesn't seem that way at decision time when installing something, it will make a lot of sense when you see catastrophic failures that may not have happened if recognized standards were followed.

jumper

So.....what did you get red tagged for? :roll:

The NEC is simply a guideline

Enforced by law in many places. Gimme a break, quit whining.

satcom

And I for one am glad you got that off your chest but, I must point out that you really need to look at the CMP members and who they represent. You are correct tha the IBEW and Manufacturers are represented but, there are Engineers and Non-Union representation as well.

Roger

And don't forget the members who started it all, the Insurance companies and their underwriters.

Status
Not open for further replies.