Clothes Washer / Kitchen Refrigerator / Residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

Nope and nope.

A 20 amp laundry circuit is required for a dwelling unit, but you do not have to plug the washer into to it.

A kitchen fridge may be on a 20A SABC, or its own separate 15A or greater circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you, but look at what the code says.:)

Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration
equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual
branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

If you would happen to run into a refrigerator requiring something other than a 15 or 20 amp circuit it is still covered this way. Some dwellings have kitchens that may be highly desired by people actually working in commercial kitchens.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thank you, but look at what the code says.:)

Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration
equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual
branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

Just trying to keep with the OP's question. I haven't run into any resi. refrigeration units that require more than 20A. Not saying there are none, just that I have never run into it.:)

kwired

Electron manager
Just trying to keep with the OP's question. I haven't run into any resi. refrigeration units that require more than 20A. Not saying there are none, just that I have never run into it.:)

Nothing says you can't put a commercial refrigeration unit in a dwelling, and it does happen in some cases.

scnkapc

Clothes Washer Article Number

Clothes Washer Article Number

Now that you guys have beat the refrigerator to death, what is the code article for residential clothes washers to be on a 20 amp circuit?

scnkapc

(A 20 amp laundry circuit is required for a dwelling unit, but you do not have to plug the washer into to it.)

If it's required as stated in reply #2, what is the code article?

jumper

(A 20 amp laundry circuit is required for a dwelling unit, but you do not have to plug the washer into to it.)

If it's required as stated in reply #2, what is the code article?

210.11(C)(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number
of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at
least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided
to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by
210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . what is the code article for residential clothes washers to be on a 20 amp circuit?
To clarify what others have already posted, the article in question speaks of providing a circuit for the "laundry." It does not say which specific item of laundry-related equipment is intended to be plugged into that outlet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If that is the only outlet serving the laundry then it must be a 20 amp circuit. 210.11(C)(2). You could have a 15 amp circuit for the washer and a 20 amp circuit for another outlet in the room. In all my years of wiring I have never nor have I seen anyone install a 15 amp circuit for the washer. I have seen it in jobs done before I started over 35 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.