Conduit body versus Pull box

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvirgil467

Hi there.

I have a conduit run that has bends in the length of run exceeding 360 degress. Can i use a conduit body in lieu of a pull box to meet the requirements between pull points?

Thanks.
c

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hi there.

I have a conduit run that has bends in the length of run exceeding 360 degress. Can i use a conduit body in lieu of a pull box to meet the requirements between pull points?

Thanks.
c

It depends on the conductor sizes. If they are #6 or smaller, OK. Larger than #6 may run afoul of wire bending space.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Hi there.

Thanks.
c

As Texie indicated, you need to be aware of wire bending space, There are compliant conduit bodies for most of these applications, however, I install a box any time I can over an LB. They cost less and they are far easier to work with. That is for both N3R and N1 boxes.

texie

Occupation
As Texie indicated, you need to be aware of wire bending space, There are compliant conduit bodies for most of these applications, however, I install a box any time I can over an LB. They cost less and they are far easier to work with. That is for both N3R and N1 boxes.

I also think in most cases a jbox is better, especially if it is larger than #4. In many cases a wireway fits the bill if you meet Table 321.6(A) (for going out the back) and 314 rules. Of course if it needs to be vertical it won't work outside with NEMA3R though.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With #4 and larger conductors conduit bodies are required to meet the same 6X and 8x distance rules that apply to pull boxes. That means use an oversized conduit body to meet he 6X or 8X or it does not count as a pulling point.

texie

Occupation
With #4 and larger conductors conduit bodies are required to meet the same 6X and 8x distance rules that apply to pull boxes. That means use an oversized conduit body to meet he 6X or 8X or it does not count as a pulling point.

Agreed, and that was my point.

copper chopper

easy fix

easy fix

ok virgil heres an easy fix since we dont know what size condiut your running or the conductor size. what I do is say for example your running a 1 1/2 inch feeder pipe. All you do is buy a C condulet in 2 inch with 2inch to 1 1/2 reducing bushings and put this in the conduit run where you can pull striaght thru it. now your done I have been doing it like this for over 25 years and never had a problem nor have I been asked by an inspector about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.