NEC 250.70

Status
Not open for further replies.

erickench

I just came across this rule where it state's:

The grounding or bonding conductor shall be connected to the grounding electrode by............

The words used in this rule are "grounding or bonding conductor" not grounding electrode conductor. I could've sworn that there were rules somewhere in the NEC about connecting ground wires directly to the grounding electrode. Or am I wrong? Can someone please refresh my memory? Thanks.

Last edited:

erickench

The GEC is a grounding conductor, is that your question?

No the GEC cannot be the grounding conductor because article 100 provides two different definitions. This could be a problem in the NEC unless someone can show me where there is a rule that permits or requires connection to the grounding electrode through the grounding or bonding conductor. If they meant to say grounding electrode conductor then they should say grounding electrode conductor.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I just came across this rule where it state's:

The grounding or bonding conductor shall be connected to the grounding electrode by............

The words used in this rule are "grounding or bonding conductor" not grounding electrode conductor. I could've sworn that there were rules somewhere in the NEC about connecting ground wires directly to the grounding electrode. Or am I wrong? Can someone please refresh my memory? Thanks.

It seems to me it is just poor wording, as we can't run EGC conductors to a ground rod (they have to terminate where the circuit originates-IE be run with the circuit conductors). You can however have bonding conductors between grounding electrodes. I seems it should read "grounding electrode conductors or bonding conductors shall be...." Let's see what others say.

erickench

Okay, I found it. Sorry to bother you. I knew that there was somewhere in the NEC a rule that permits a receptacle to be connected to the grounding electrode system or GEC. It's in NEC 250.130(C).

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
No the GEC cannot be the grounding conductor because article 100 provides two different definitions. This could be a problem in the NEC unless someone can show me where there is a rule that permits or requires connection to the grounding electrode through the grounding or bonding conductor. If they meant to say grounding electrode conductor then they should say grounding electrode conductor.

If the GEC is not a grounding conductor what is it?

erickench

If the GEC is not a grounding conductor what is it?

Look at the definitions in article 100. It state's:

Grounding Conductor. A conductor used to connect equipment or the grounded circuit of a wiring system to a grounding electrode or electrodes.

This would be the case if you were to use a grounding-type receptacle to replace a nongrounding receptacle. There is no equipment ground so you are permitted to connect to the grounding electrode system.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Look at the definitions in article 100. It state's:

Grounding Conductor. A conductor used to connect equipment or the grounded circuit of a wiring system to a grounding electrode or electrodes.

This would be the case if you were to use a grounding-type receptacle to replace a nongrounding receptacle. There is no equipment ground so you are permitted to connect to the grounding electrode system.

Not in the 2011.

erickench

Okay, I was looking at the 2008 NEC. New York is not using 2011 yet. Look's like they removed the definition for grounding conductor. They should've changed NEC 250.70 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.