cord reels above ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

whe4

Is the intent of NEC 400.8(5) to prevent the installation of a cord reel above an acoustical tile ceiling? In my case these cord reels are in a college classroom and the school does not want them hanging below the ceiling.

ceb58

Is the intent of NEC 400.8(5) to prevent the installation of a cord reel above an acoustical tile ceiling? In my case these cord reels are in a college classroom and the school does not want them hanging below the ceiling.

Some times you cant get what you want :weeping: Your ref. to 400.8 (5) is correct. Also if they were installed above the drop ceiling they would violate 400.8 (2) if they pulled the cord through the tile to use it.

templdl

Go point. Think about this. My son when was a teenager he used my open, hanging retractable reel in the garage to power , of all things, a 1200w heat gun. Yes it was as bit more of a load that you would normally have.
Of course he didn't pull out any more cord than he needed. Without the cord reel completely extended the cord can not dissipate heat. Those cords are SJ or similar and are designed for use in open air.
He is now 43 and still brings up the time when he bought be a new reel as he melted the wire that had remained inside the reel together and was darned lucky that it didn't case a fire.
Now mount one above a ceiling, out of sight, out of mind.

John120/240

"You can't always get what you want"

Mount the recptacle flush with cieling tile. Support cord reel from the structure independent

of the drop cieling.

Status
Not open for further replies.