NM Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

squaredan

Can I re-use Type NM Cable the old white cable? It has the proper size grounding conductor. Or, do I have to use NM-B?

I do not see problem with that, the -B on the NM cable means it is 90 degree cable good for derating purposes were NM id 60 degree..Read 334.80 (2008 code) hope that helps

Dan

So, I took loose the #12 NM and re-used it for Kitchen, dining, and bathroom. The inspector said I have to remove it all and install NM-B. Is he correct in denying this installation?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
So, I took loose the #12 NM and re-used it for Kitchen, dining, and bathroom. The inspector said I have to remove it all and install NM-B. Is he correct in denying this installation?

Unfortunately yes.

334.112 Insulation. The insulated power conductors shall
be one of the types listed in Table 310.13(A) that are suitable
for branch-circuit wiring or one that is identified for
use in these cables. Conductor insulation shall be rated at
90?C (194?F).
FPN: Types NM, NMC, and NMS cable identified by the
markings NM-B, NMC-B, and NMS-B meet this
requirement.

As Dennis said, had you left it in place it would have been ok. But since you removed then reinstalled it, it is to be treated as a new install, and that requires current codes.

squaredan

I don't believe it is compliant to use the old nm in a new installation. Code states NM must be 90C

Why does 334.80 last paragraph (2008) say "Where more than Two "NM" cables containing two or more current-carrying conductors are INSTALLED in contact with....ect" If you cannot use NM should it say NM-B? Not disputing with you just asking....

I did read 334.112 and say it does say Conductor insulation shall be at 90deg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why does 334.80 last paragraph (2008) say "Where more than Two "NM" cables containing two or more current-carrying conductors are INSTALLED in contact with....ect" If you cannot use NM should it say NM-B? Not disputing with you just asking....

I did read 334.112 and say it does say Conductor insulation shall be at 90deg

Nm is the term for all NM-- read 334.112 & the informational note or FPN depending on which code cycle you are using

squaredan

Nm is the term for all NM-- read 334.112 & the informational note or FPN depending on which code cycle you are using

I am working out of the 2008 code book and I did read all 334.112 and I agree but in 334.80 in the first part it says NM and Ampacity is 60deg and then talk about The 90deg rating cable ampacity is permitted for derating.. Just assumed they are talking about two different, NM and NM-B...should I not assume like the say..lol

Dan

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am working out of the 2008 code book and I did read all 334.112 and I agree but in 334.80 in the first part it says NM and Ampacity is 60deg and then talk about The 90deg rating cable ampacity is permitted for derating.. Just assumed they are talking about two different, NM and NM-B...should I not assume like the say..lol

Dan

NM -B has 90? conductors in the cable however the cable when installed is rated 60C. You can still use 90C for derating. The reason the NM is required to be 90C is mostly because light fixtures generally req. 90C wiring. As an inspector I would tend to allow the cable to be moved if the cable just went to a wall outlet and not a light.

squaredan

NM -B has 90? conductors in the cable however the cable when installed is rated 60C. You can still use 90C for derating. The reason the NM is required to be 90C is mostly because light fixtures generally req. 90C wiring. As an inspector I would tend to allow the cable to be moved if the cable just went to a wall outlet and not a light.

I re read and I get it now.. thanks

norcal

If old NM has been removed, it's scrapmetal, & once the old cable has been pulled out why would you want to reuse it?? As said by others 90 degree NM is required for new work.

Status
Not open for further replies.