High leg on single phase load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Is there anything in the NEC that would prohibit the use of the high leg to supply a single phase load such as a water heater?

Don't think so, at least as long as it is on the right kind of breaker, but why would you want to?

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No. You just need to make sure and use a full rated (not slash rated) breaker.(240.85)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
While you can do this, keep in mind how the transformer bank in your case is built as they are not tyipcally designed for full load on the high leg. If you load up a service like this with all 240 1 phase load balanced across all 3 phases in some cases you may overload the transformer.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Is there anything in the NEC that would prohibit the use of the high leg to supply a single phase load such as a water heater?

You mean a load that is single phase that uses two hots on 208V but you use a single breaker on a high leg system with a neutral?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
You mean a load that is single phase that uses two hots on 208V but you use a single breaker on a high leg system with a neutral?

I hope not. I think we are all thinking the OP has a 1 phase 240 (240 only, no neutral) load that he wants to connect between high leg and 1 other leg. Can't do your method, and I wish I could tell you where in the NEC this is prohibited-not sure it is there.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't think there is anything in the code that says you can't use it line to neutral for a 208 volt load. I know it is not a good electrical practice, but I don't think the code says you can't.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I don't think there is anything in the code that says you can't use it line to neutral for a 208 volt load. I know it is not a good electrical practice, but I don't think the code says you can't.

I think the problem lies in trying to do so with a single pole breaker with a 208 v rating.
(assuming one is not using a 277v panelboard)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think the problem lies in trying to do so with a single pole breaker with a 208 v rating.
Yes, the OCPD could be an issue, but that is not a direct restriction on the use of the high leg for line to neutral loads. (I could always use a fuse for the OCPD)

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Do they even make a single pole 240 volt breaker?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Do they even make a single pole 240 volt breaker?

I looked in the SQUARE-D book but couldn't find a breaker that is rated for 208V. What is the rating of breaker that is used on 277V lighting?

Yes, the OCPD could be an issue, but that is not a direct restriction on the use of the high leg for line to neutral loads. (I could always use a fuse for the OCPD)

Breaker issue aside, Will the load work if it was designed for 2 pole 208V but it is connected to single pole 208V?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I looked in the SQUARE-D book but couldn't find a breaker that is rated for 208V. What is the rating of breaker that is used on 277V lighting?

277 volt. Problem is a 277 volt breakers are not designed for installation in a 240/120 panel.
If you happen to have a 480/277 panel on the 240 system, you could use a SP 277 breaker.

Breaker issue aside, Will the load work if it was designed for 2 pole 208V but it is connected to single pole 208V?

My understanding is it will in fact "work", but it is not recommended from a transformer distribution standpoint.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
277 volt. Problem is a 277 volt breakers are not designed for installation in a 240/120 panel.
If you happen to have a 480/277 panel on the 240 system, you could use a SP 277 breaker.

I don't understand. If it is designed for 277 why can't it be used on lower voltage? I assume it is listing issue?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I don't understand. If it is designed for 277 why can't it be used on lower voltage? I assume it is listing issue?
You can. The voltage is not the issue. The well tailored hound has it right.

Problem is a 277 volt breakers are not designed for installation in a 240/120 panel.
If you happen to have a 480/277 panel on the 240 system, you could use a SP 277 breaker..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

That is the issue as Augie stated. A panel loaded with 277 volt SP CB's on a 240/120 volt, 3?, 4W Delta system would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.