flickering lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

double r

Good evening I have a two lamp fixture with a sylvania ballast in it , we installed lutron emergency ballast about six months ago. We noticed last week that when u turn off the switch one of the lamps flicker but when the switch is on everything works fine. The emergency back up works when the power is off and operates the one lamp thats flickering . Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the lamp to flicker your help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

travish

Occupation
Electrician
at our plant once, had a row of flourescent lights. lights were feed from a double pole breaker (240v), then 1 leg was switched thru a lighting contactor that a light sw turned on and off. guy goes to add 2 lights to extend the row, used 120v ballast lights and connected to the switched leg and "borrowed" a neutral from a nearby door opener. Everthing worked fine when the switch was on, but the 120v lights flickered when he turned off the sw. called me to come and check it out, the unswitched leg was feeding thru the ballast of the 240v lights to the switched leg which made the 2 lights flicker. I also got him straight about all the conductors being contain in the same conduit

any chance you have something like this?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Good evening I have a two lamp fixture with a sylvania ballast in it , we installed lutron emergency ballast about six months ago. We noticed last week that when u turn off the switch one of the lamps flicker but when the switch is on everything works fine. The emergency back up works when the power is off and operates the one lamp thats flickering . Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the lamp to flicker your help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Make sure you have the ballast and housing grounded. The electronic ballast need a good ground to work properly.

cadpoint

277 still needs a neutral. I do like Travish's story. I was going to tell you to power off, lift the neutral and turn back on the breaker to see if had a wild neutral, but that will not help since this is emergency ballast.

You should read up on the exact ballast at the manufactures web site.

I would check the tomb stones and the associated wiring very closely. Make sure the wiring is as it suppose to be.

By chance is this light in direct path of an air vent? I then say it's the new orange clips...

Maybe it's just a bad ballast. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.