reason for editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am just wondering why the forum asks " reason for editing" when I want to edit my post?

hurk27

I am just wondering why the forum asks " reason for editing" when I want to edit my post?

So others will know something was changed that might make the wording mean something else so they need to re-read it to make sure they understood what you really meant, when you put the reason in the little box it will appear at the bottom of your post

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just long enough that by the time you see that you made a mistake it will disappear right before you click it:rant: Murphy's law:happyyes:

Not sure I think it used to seem about 3 minutes
I think there is ten minute window to actualy edit and two minutes to edit without the edit notification appearing in the post.

Roger

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I thought is was 15 minutes... Sometimes it seems like 3 minutes

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I thought it was a 5 minute window. In the past there was no limit, but there were cases of posters going back and changing the complete meaning of a post after others had commented on the original post. The time limit is to prevent that type of activity, but still allow corrections to the post.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Here is the message on the previous post I received at 7:32;
Look at post #7 at time of posting and time of last edit.

1.The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 15 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.

Last edited:

Besoeker

As well as the time limit, I thought you couldn't edit a post if a response came in after you had posted.
Obviously incorrect.....:(

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
As well as the time limit, I thought you couldn't edit a post if a response came in after you had posted.
Obviously incorrect.....:(

Not the case, I have seen a few times someone respond to something that is no longer in the post and it confuses everyone else - what are they talking about - he never said anything like that.

iwire

Staff member
Here is the message on the previous post I received at 7:32;
Look at post #7 at time of posting and time of last edit.

1.The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 15 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.

You can PM any of the mods to make edits to your posts at anytime. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Unfortunately if you change a post it makes reading hard esp if there are many posts that are responding to your original post

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I am curious about how this thread got placed under "electrical contracting and Estimating" ????????

We, as electrical contractors, were estimating the editing times in the forum :p:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.