Question about Cuttler Hammer prl2a Panel subfeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cal.interiors

I have a prl2a cuttler hammer 480v 3 phase panel at my wifes business. This panel has ghb breakers. This panel is feeding a 125amp sub panel 208/120 off a 45kva TF.

The plan is to replace the transformer with a 75 kva and feed a 208/120 200amp panel off the prl2a. Ive seen a breaker kit from eaton that I think is for a feed through. Will this work or do I have to completely change out the panel. Ghb breakers are only up to 100a.

here is a link to the breaker kit. Any advice????

http://www.platt.com/platt-electric...-Kits/Eaton/BKFD200T/product.aspx?zpid=356170

sii

I have a prl2a cuttler hammer 480v 3 phase panel at my wifes business. This panel has ghb breakers. This panel is feeding a 125amp sub panel 208/120 off a 45kva TF.

The plan is to replace the transformer with a 75 kva and feed a 208/120 200amp panel off the prl2a. Ive seen a breaker kit from eaton that I think is for a feed through. Will this work or do I have to completely change out the panel. Ghb breakers are only up to 100a.

http://www.platt.com/platt-electric...-Kits/Eaton/BKFD200T/product.aspx?zpid=356170

Not sure about this but here goes.....

Those panels are "built-to-spec". Looks like what you have is a standard main breaker that does not come with the required trim. Saying you have a plr2a panel also does not give all the required info to spec out the breaker. You would need to take into consideration the interrupting current of the main breaker in the panel as well as making sure the main panel can accomodate the additinal load.

Your local distributor should be able to get the trim for you.

cal.interiors

Guess I should have been more descriptive. Here is what I got currently:

Incoming 480/277 225a cuttler hammer prl2a 30 space panel with top and bottom filler plates. Main lugs on top nothing on bottom. Ghb breakers, two installed with one going to ac and another going to the step down transformer feeding the mall 208/120 sub panel.

What I need is to upgrade the 208/120 panel to a 200a. I can keep the ac on the 480 and run everything else on the 208/120. Ghb breakers only run to 100 amp. I was told I can do a conversion vertical breaker up to 225a in this same prl panel but dont see how. My local distributors suck and I have received multiple answers. I talked to eaton directly and that was less helpful.

templdl

Both 100 and 225a through-feed lugs are available but I'm not sure if the panel can be retrofited.
My catalog shows that a 225a Main lug 30ckt panel should have been supplied with a 48x20x5-3/4 enclosure. If it was ordered with 225a main lugs and 225a through feed lugs it would be supplied with the same size enclosure so it looks favorable for you.
I have attached something that you may find useful which I think will ger the job done for you. Now all you have to do is t find someone at Eaton that has a clue as to what you are talking about. It's been a while but I still know some of the plays to dig around and get ino on C-H stuff. You just have to know what rock to look under.

Attachments

• PRL2a through feed lugs.jpg
    PRL2a through feed lugs.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2

masterinbama

Post or IM me the label info off the dead front and also the can size. My local CH guy is pretty good at off the wall stuff. Be glad to have him do a look for you.

I have in the past bought a new interior with breakers cheaper than I could buy the 1 large frame breaker I needed.

cal.interiors

Awesome. I appreciate it. Looks like the local Platt electric has the feed through lugs for this panel and I found a local distributor with the conversion breaker to feed the sub and it will fit in the prl2a on the bottom.

Looks like im good to go cross my fingers.

GearMan

"What we have here is a failure to communicate." Feeding a 75kVA from the existing PRL2A panel with a 100A GHB breaker is not a problem. Upgrading your 125A sub panel to 200A as required could be. You don't mention what this panel is, or if you just plan to replace it. Your secondary conductors will also have to be upsized. Can you clarify.

templdl

"What we have here is a failure to communicate." Feeding a 75kVA from the existing PRL2A panel with a 100A GHB breaker is not a problem. Upgrading your 125A sub panel to 200A as required could be. You don't mention what this panel is, or if you just plan to replace it. Your secondary conductors will also have to be upsized. Can you clarify.

As often would be the case wouldn't it be wonderful if the OP included a one-line. It would simplify life a lot instead of guessing. Each one of us interprets the verbal description differently.

templdl

Oh, one other thing, the first thing that I verified was what would the panel size be should it have been supplied originally with through feed lugs. This provides some assurance that it is possible to add the lugs in the first place and maintain bending radius and clearances. Then I checked on the available of a field modification to add the lugs. Remember, that to maintain UL you must follow the manufacturers listing and the field modifactions that are available.

iwire

Staff member

Cal, I think you were pretty clear in what you want to do. I am not sure about the retrofitting of the panel.

What size is the feeder to the 480 panel? Depending on the feeder size you might be able to just tap into it ahead of the panel to feed the transformer.

Another thought I have is to keep the 45 KVA and 125 amp sub and add a second 45 with 125 sub, this eliminates the need for a breaker over 100 amps. If space is tight stack the transformers with a unistrut rack.

cpinetree

100 amp breaker is large enough

100 amp breaker is large enough

Unless I am missing something a 3P100 amp breaker is large enough to feed a 3phase 75kva transformer at 480v and get 200amp 120/208 on the secondary.

Can you guys please correct my misinterpretation of the problem.:?

iwire

Staff member
Unless I am missing something a 3P100 amp breaker is large enough to feed a 3phase 75kva transformer at 480v and get 200amp 120/208 on the secondary.

Can you guys please correct my misinterpretation of the problem.:?

Using a 100 to feed a 75 can work, or it can trip out when you go to energize it due to inrush. The more energy efficient the transformer the more likely there will be a problem.

templdl

Using a 100 to feed a 75 can work, or it can trip out when you go to energize it due to inrush. The more energy efficient the transformer the more likely there will be a problem.

This is a classic example of a lot of nuisance tripping when you use this combination. The contractor is backed into a corner when limited to a 100a breaker. Since tthe pri FLA is 90 you are likely to have problems with energizing the transforner using a 100a breaker. The mag. of the breaker will not bew high enough.

cal.interiors

I thought about adding another transformer but room is limited although didnt think about stacking.. I finally talked to someone at eaton that half way knows what they are talking about and assured me that I was ok with the breaker kit I was looking into and verifying my panel specs. I then found a great deal on the kit which included the breaker, lugs and mounting hardware. Im thinking this is the safest and best bet. I looked into other options that were put in front of me but never could verify if it was 100% correct. Its always funny how you can get 20 different options or points of view from 20 different vendors yet there is usually only one or two correct methods.

Thanks for the opinions!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.