Jet Tub Motor Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid43

I see this frequently....the lug on the motor gets overlooked and no equipment ground gets pulled to the source of power. Home owner wants to know what can be done to ground the tub without installing a ground back to the panel. The motor is plugged into a GFCI, and there are no copper plumbing pipes around.

stickboy1375

I see this frequently....the lug on the motor gets overlooked and no equipment ground gets pulled to the source of power. Home owner wants to know what can be done to ground the tub without installing a ground back to the panel. The motor is plugged into a GFCI, and there are no copper plumbing pipes around.

You are talking about two things here, bonding, and grounding.... are you saying the motor lug isn't bonded, or there is no equipment ground at the receptacle?

For the bonding aspect, it doesn't get overlook, i've never come across a tub that was required to be bonded... meaning the pipes in contact with just the circulating water are always plastic.

check out 680.74 Bonding.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The hydromassage tub doesn't need to have the motor bonded if there is plastic water pipes serving the tub. A bond is needed if the piping system is metal but you would only need a jumper from the lug to the water pipe.

euclid43

Ok...the code is unclear about bonding "double insulated" and "non-double insulated" motor. I assume the double insulated is not required to be bonded. However, if it's determined that the motor is non-double insulated, then I take an 8 AWG to the smaller GFCI equipment ground?

kwired

Electron manager
The lug you are talking about is not for landing the required equipment grounding conductor that must be run with the branch circuit. It is for landing the bonding jumper that you may need to bond non other non current carrying metal objects in the area. Minimum size of this jumper is 8 AWG no matter what size equipment grounding conductor supplies the unit. Quite often there is no additional items that need to be bonded.

From 680.74:

All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a solid copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG. The bonding jumper shall be connected to the terminal on the circulating pump motor that is intended for this purpose.

Last edited:

euclid43

I regret submitting a post without proofing my terminology. I just need to know if it's required to bond the lug, or not. If so, can I bond to the equipment ground if that's all that's provided.

kwired

Electron manager
I regret submitting a post without proofing my terminology. I just need to know if it's required to bond the lug, or not. If so, can I bond to the equipment ground if that's all that's provided.

Equipment ground is already bonded to that lug, it is for bonding other metal objects in contact with the water - which doesn't happen all that often which is why you never see the lug used.

kwired

Electron manager
Are we assuming that it's bonded via the cord plug ground wire? Like in a garbage disposal?

Not only are we assuming, the cord is required to contain the equipment grounding conductor unless a double insulated system of insulation is used.

If double insulated motor is used then the lug must still be connected to the EGC. I have never seen one like that, but am guessing the lug would be factory connected to the EGC anyway and likely may be required to be to meet listing requirements

euclid43

OK....I am desperately trying to find out how to BOND this motor with the only means of grounding being the GFCI with equipment grounding.

euclid43

#2 is vague and doesn't address what to do with the lug on the motor. There's code references for this, and the bottom line is that inspectors and installers should figure out what to do with motors that are double insulated and the only means of grounding is GFCI. Some illustrations want installers to go from the motor lug to the receptacle EGC, if that's the only source of grounding. Amazing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am assuming this is a hydromassage tub per your description. 680.74 is what you need to read. The bonding lug on the motor does not need to be used if the water system is plastic. Just supply a gfci circuit to a receptacle under the tub and you are done with it.-- If the water supply is metal than a bonding jumper from the motor lug to the water line is needed.

Now if there is a double insulated pump AND the water pipe is metallic then you would need to connect the #8 from the water pipe to the EGC of the pump.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The lug you are talking about is not for landing the required equipment grounding conductor that must be run with the branch circuit. It is for landing the bonding jumper that you may need to bond non other non current carrying metal objects in the area. Minimum size of this jumper is 8 AWG no matter what size equipment grounding conductor supplies the unit. Quite often there is no additional items that need to be bonded.

From 680.74:

There is no requirement to provide equipotential bonding for a hydro-massage tub. Only metal parts in contact with the circulating water and a metal water circulation system require the #8 bond.

kwired

Electron manager
There is no requirement to provide equipotential bonding for a hydro-massage tub. Only metal parts in contact with the circulating water and a metal water circulation system require the #8 bond.

You are correct, I think I indicated items in area in one post and mentioned items in contact with the water in another post, slap me for not being consistant.

kwired

Electron manager
#2 is vague and doesn't address what to do with the lug on the motor. There's code references for this, and the bottom line is that inspectors and installers should figure out what to do with motors that are double insulated and the only means of grounding is GFCI. Some illustrations want installers to go from the motor lug to the receptacle EGC, if that's the only source of grounding. Amazing.

What don't you understand? I think we explained the purpose of the lug in question more than once. It is not for landing the equipment ground from the branch circuit conductors, it is for bonding other objects in the area when required, that bonding jumper must be 8 AWG even if the equipment grounding conductor is only 14 AWG.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Actually there is a requirement for EPB. It is just that we think of the slabs, etc as the epb. The bonding of metal parts is an epb-- 680.74 specifically states epb.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Actually there is a requirement for EPB. It is just that we think of the slabs, etc as the epb. The bonding of metal parts is an epb-- 680.74 specifically states epb.

Where in 680.74 does it say about equipotential bonding of surrounding metal parts or other metal piping systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.