Jet Tub Motor Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It states epb in 2011

680.74 Bonding. All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a solid copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG. The bonding jumper shall be connected to the terminal on the circulating pump motor that is intended for this purpose. The bonding jumper shall not be required to be connected to a double insulated
circulating pump motor. The 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding jumper shall be required for equipotential bonding in the area of the hydromassage bathtub and shall not be required to be extended or attached to any remote panelboard, service equipment, or any electrode. The 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding jumper shall be long enough to terminate on a replacement non-double-insulated pump motor and shall be terminated to the equipment grounding conductor of the branch circuit of the motor when a double-insulated circulating pump motor is used.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I hate to stir muddy waters, but feel compelled to add that the Jacuzzi Brand of hydrotub has, as part of it's installation instructions, a requirement to bond the motor with a #8 to the electrical panel. Jacuzzi is the only manufacturer I have encountered with this requirement.

View attachment jucuzzipg18.doc

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I hate to stir muddy waters, but feel compelled to add that the Jacuzzi Brand of hydrotub has, as part of it's installation instructions, a requirement to bond the motor with a #8 to the electrical panel. Jacuzzi is the only manufacturer I have encountered with this requirement.

View attachment 7085

I have heard of that- not sure I would follow that mfg instruction.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
It opens the door to an argument as to a requirement in the installation instructions is part of the "listing and labeling" in 100.3(B). As a general rule, in this area, if the install instructions call for it, the inspectors require it.
As far as I know, ALL hydro manufacture instructions call for their heaters to have a #8 bond installed, so many E/Cs here install the #8 on R.I. in case.

stickboy1375

It opens the door to an argument as to a requirement in the installation instructions is part of the "listing and labeling" in 100.3(B). As a general rule, in this area, if the install instructions call for it, the inspectors require it.
As far as I know, ALL hydro manufacture instructions call for their heaters to have a #8 bond installed, so many E/Cs here install the #8 on R.I. in case.

But why? :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation

I think from both the inspectors and electrical contractors point of view the simple answer is liability,
If the manufacturer shows it as an installation requirement and you fail to enforce/install it, you open yourself up to liability over a piece of #8 wire.

stickboy1375

I think from both the inspectors and electrical contractors point of view the simple answer is liability,
If the manufacturer shows it as an installation requirement and you fail to enforce/install it, you open yourself up to liability over a piece of #8 wire.

I get that part, I mean why the manufactures request it? Because they misread the NEC incorrectly?

kwired

Electron manager
Running a #8 bond between the heater and pump makes sense - it ensures they are at same potential. Running #8 to branch circuit panelboard makes no sense if circuit is anything smaller than 60 amps.

A legal way around this is to put a panelboard with single breaker in adjacent room, room below, etc. If breaker is on back side wall of tub you could easily only have a EGC run of only 5 feet or even less sized at the (questionable) 8 AWG and then have a 14 AWG feeder (if that is all the circuit needs) with 14 AWG EGC running clear to far end of house if that is where the feeder needs to originate. Does not really accomplish anything more than running a 15 amp circuit wouldn't do now does it?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It states epb in 2011

The way I read it the words equipotential bonding are for the description of the #8 bonding conductor and there is nothing in 680.74 that requires you to bond anything metallic that isn't in contact with the circulating water.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The way I read it the words equipotential bonding are for the description of the #8 bonding conductor and there is nothing in 680.74 that requires you to bond anything metallic that isn't in contact with the circulating water.
I agree-- I was saying that the metal water piping is part of the equipotential bond. You stated that there is no requirement for epb. I realize that you were talking about the perimeter surface epb but the NEC mentions epb for the water pipe.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree-- I was saying that the metal water piping is part of the equipotential bond. You stated that there is no requirement for epb. I realize that you were talking about the perimeter surface epb but the NEC mentions epb for the water pipe.

Yeah in hindsight maybe my use of EBG was confusing since the terminology is used in 680.74.

Status
Not open for further replies.