Cord and Plug Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid43

I inherited a job where there are cord and plug, 3/4 and 1 HP motor drills and sanders. I want to dedicate each (20 amp) with a duplex receptacle, but might run into code issues. The only details I know is that each piece of equipment is portable (on wheels), and has a regular 3 prong plug attached. Is there anything more that I should consider? I almost think of this as a hand held drill, but a little bigger and try not making it more complicated. Should I GFCI these recepts with MEP's, which have more milli-amps? All these drills and sanders have overload protection.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
GFCI required if in a location listed in 210.8, plus there are some other locations not in 210, for example garages.

Once you install a duplex receptacle you have a multi-purpose branch circuit and can't load it to more than 50%.
For a single recp you can load it to 80% of BC rating.

resistance

GFCI required if in a location listed in 210.8, plus there are some other locations not in 210, for example garages.

Once you install a duplex receptacle you have a multi-purpose branch circuit and can't load it to more than 50%.
For a single recp you can load it to 80% of BC rating.
In reference to the 50%, can you provide a code reference? I believe a duplex receptacle can be loaded to it?s max rating per T.210.24, and for the 50%, I believe that?s for BC?s with utilization equipment fastened in place (210.23A2). Or are you talking about something else?

T

taylorp

Tom I am thinking you mean when a branch circuit supplies both utilization equipment and other loads on the same branch circuit, the utilization equipment is limited to 50% of the branch circuit ampere rating. See 210.23(A)(2).

Status
Not open for further replies.