Is EMT a conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WirenutNH

I have completed a project that called out on plans for conduit. We submitted on EMT and RMC, used RMC where it specifically called out for it. but where plans stated conduit not RMC we used EMT. Inspector has signed off that installations meet NEC requirements. Engineer is looking for a credit for area where we used EMT. Thoughts?

dkidd

Occupation
PE
EMT is not conduit. There are many places in the NEC that you can see a specific distinction. That said, many people do not make that distinction.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't make that distinction. My only thought is how much RMC did you bid and how much did you install? I'll dated my self but the last time I priced it out, EMT was $20 a bundle and RMC was $20 a stick.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you use a dictionary you might find this. Conduit can be many thinks but it is a raceway and that is usually all that matters. Is there a specific reason why you are asking this question?

1. A pipe or channel for conveying fluids, such as water.
2. A tube or duct for enclosing electric wires or cable.

kwired

Electron manager
This has been debated here before and never was a majority that agreed one way or the other IIRC.

My best suggestion is to find out from the person that made the specifications what they intended when making that specification.

By just mentioning the word "conduit" they leave things pretty open as there are many types of "conduit" anyway. They would be better off with having a listing of acceptable wiring methods and where they may be used than to just say "conduit". Their design practices would be more impressive to the installer also, if it clearly stated what was intended instead of making the installer try to guess what was intended.

cdslotz

Under your spec section for Raceways, was EMT listed as an approved raceway?
If so, was it specific in where you can and cannot use it?
Just because you submitted EMT doesn't mean he allowed you to use it

iwire

Staff member
I have completed a project that called out on plans for conduit. We submitted on EMT and RMC, used RMC where it specifically called out for it. but where plans stated conduit not RMC we used EMT. Inspector has signed off that installations meet NEC requirements. Engineer is looking for a credit for area where we used EMT. Thoughts?

Rigid Metal Conduit

Intermediate Metal Conduit

Electrical Metallic Tubing

In my personal opinion EMT is not 'conduit' unless the specifications state it is.

cdslotz

But it is a Raceway. That is the spec section where you will find uses permitted for all of those products

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Under your spec section for Raceways, was EMT listed as an approved raceway?
If so, was it specific in where you can and cannot use it?
Just because you submitted EMT doesn't mean he allowed you to use it

This is where I tend to go with this. Let us help you out. We could argue all day whether EMT is conduit and as you can see there is a variance of opinion. Who cares!

So as cdslotz started asking. Give us specifics. Did you have specs? Was it a book or on the plans? Were there notes on the plans? In your state do plans supercede specs or vice versa? Can you post the basic material specs here usually 16100 for conduit?

I am curious, because I can't imagine a job that has the professionalism to ask for a credit, but doesn't have clear enough specifications to dictate where you can use what type of conduit.

TOOL_5150

Rigid Metal Conduit

In my personal opinion EMT is not 'conduit' unless the specifications state it is.

This is exactly how I read it as well. If plans call for a conduit, you have to use a listed conduit.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Rigid Metal Conduit

I agree, but by the same token, so is FMC and PVC.

I don't understand why FMC is 'conduit' while EMT isn't, but that's the way the book is written and even goes so far to segregate them by groups. Look in the index, cables are grouped together, tubing is grouped together and conduit is grouped together.

Although rather inexplicable as to the rationale, some raceways, whether flexible or not, are conduit and some are tubing.

TOOL_5150

I agree, but by the same token, so is FMC and PVC.

I don't understand why FMC is 'conduit' while EMT isn't, but that's the way the book is written and even goes so far to segregate them by groups. Look in the index, cables are grouped together, tubing is grouped together and conduit is grouped together.

Although rather inexplicable as to the rationale, some raceways, whether flexible or not, are conduit and some are tubing.

I dont really like the statement, but.... it is what it is. I have thought the same thing, but on paper - EMT is tubing and FMC is conduit.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
With both flexible and non-flexible tubing, the difference is that tubing has a reduced wall thickness as compared to flexible and non-flexible conduit.

cdslotz

I am curious, because I can't imagine a job that has the professionalism to ask for a credit

Oh I have.
If you have installed something that the engineer didn't catch, but it is specified, you may be given a choice, tear it out, or give a credit back.
I've even had engineer's approve submittals for fixtures that were not specified, that he lazily approved, give me that choice.
I think that is the case here.
So if the OP could tell us about or show us the Raceway section of the specs, we could render an opinion.
I think he's in a pickle.

iwire

Staff member
T
I am curious, because I can't imagine a job that has the professionalism to ask for a credit, but doesn't have clear enough specifications to dictate where you can use what type of conduit.

OTH perhaps the people who wrote the specs thought conduit was clearly not tubing? Maybe the EC should have RFIed first?

iwire

Staff member

I think we are on the same page, I don't why there is a distinction but there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.