My Bestest Customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

magictolight.com

One of my best clients, with us pretty much since day 1, has invited us to bid a 28 k square foot office remodel. We have the experience, but not the manpower to pull it off. Not being union, and having tried, to no avail, to get a commitment from Tradesman International (a nonunion craft labor pool) I think we could pull it off, but at the expense of the rest of our business. Is there a way to out think this labor problem, or do I respectfully decline the invitation?

USMC1302

From a customer standpoint, I'd much rather you be upfront and honest. If you aren't comfortable with the situation, let them know your reservations and decline. I have go to contractors that I'd rather work with, but don't get bent out of shape when they're busy and can't get to me right away. If I can wait, I will. Otherwise, I'll call them next go-round.

magictolight.com

The question keeps going through my head, "Do I have more to gain than I have to lose?" This client already referred us to the general contractor. I don't want to make him look foolish, and I want to be certain that we keep this client happy in the long run, no matter what.

We are a smaaaall shop, like in the 2-5 technicians line. I would anticipate a project like this soaking up 3 men for several months.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
The question keeps going through my head, "Do I have more to gain than I have to lose?" This client already referred us to the general contractor. I don't want to make him look foolish, and I want to be certain that we keep this client happy in the long run, no matter what.

We are a smaaaall shop, like in the 2-5 technicians line. I would anticipate a project like this soaking up 3 men for several months.

depends on what type of office remodel it is.
and how fast it goes. and where it is.. highrise takes longer to
stock and do stuff, etc.

t bar, 2x4 lights, bx, steel studs, etc? that stuff goes pretty fast.
and it doesn't need a rhodes scholar to toss it in.
maybe put one of your bestest guys on it, and hire two muppets to
help him?

i did a 25k sq. machine shop by myself, including the move from old building to new building.
that included hook up on about 40 machine tools, over a weekend... it all got done on time,
but that weekend sucked.

i'd make sure the money is sorted, so you aren't floating this thing out of
your account for 6 months. TI general contractors have a way of being
problem children on payments. you know you have a problem when the
GC can't get ceiling tiles 'cause they are on cash only with the supply house.

if he can't get drywall and ceiling tiles, your chances of getting money aren't good.

masterinbama

If you are bidding against others I would throw a number at it.

I would price it out like any other job then add some to it.

If you get the job you have enough in it to maybe hire a guy and let your regulars get some overtime.

If you don't get it that's the competitive contracting world.

The project is going to happen either way.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Be careful about throwing numbers at a job you don't really care about getting. You may get it, even if you are a bit higher. Nicer profit still puts you in a spot of getting it done. We turned down a similar job some years ago. I would have had to ignore all my other customers for one project. I did not regret turning it down. I threw a bid at a project this spring, got it, and now have to many projects with the same completion time frame. You already have the picture.

renosteinke

A few random thoughts:

Build it and they will come. There's enough unemployed out there that you just have to trust they will find you.

Does the GC have a "pet" electrician? Is your entry going to cause problems? Maybe it's time to have a chat with the GC. Maybe even chat with his sparky; his crew might be available ....

Rewire

managed growth can build your business unmanaged growth can destroy it. I have passed on jobs because of manpower issues. A job that last 30-60 days that takes all your men may sound good at first steady employment for the guys and a god payday for you. But what happens on day 61?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Personally I would not let one job affect the work that I can do to keep my other builders and customers happy. If this is a good customer they probably will not drop you as their go to company just because you don't do their larger job.

Sure it is tempting to take on a larger project and make some money but if all your other customers can't get you to do their work it will hurt you in the long run.

cdslotz

I would bid it to keep my customer happy.
That GC is going to feed your number to his EC anyway.
If you're too high, so be it. You have an out.
If you're too low, he will get his guy to to match it, or he will tell the owner the low guy (you),
is not qualified to do the job.
Or both.

BullsnPyrs

Hire Help

Hire Help

Hire help for the job and let you best guy run or run it yourself. I worked for years in South Florida for a contractor that specialized in commercial build outs. He had between 3 and 150 electricians on the payroll at any one time. let the guys know that they are on board for the duration of the job and replace any poor workers quickly. We did better goin that route than hiring temporary electricians from TI or othaer similiar labor contractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.