GFCI and 22.5 CU IN box

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Is it code compliant to install 3 12-2 w/g or 3 14-2 w/g and a GFCI device in a 22.5 CU IN outlet? NO.

levitongfci.JPG

Do you 'loop' wires on GFCIs? I bet not. That would be 'real hilljack' work!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I questioned that years ago with my state inspector and we both think that the comment is their for the diy people who wouldn't know what to do when there were 3 cables. I actually thought it was for heat dissipation but who knows. I never have seen anyone called on it.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I questioned that years ago with my state inspector and we both think that the comment is their for the diy people who wouldn't know what to do when there were 3 cables. I actually thought it was for heat dissipation but who knows. I never have seen anyone called on it.

I agree heat. Never could figure out why you would figure a GFCI at 4 or 4.5 cubes the same as any other device.

PS If you can only have two 'wires' in a box why have the extra holes in the back of a GFCI? :slaphead:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Now I will agree if this is in a two gang box this is stupid. I think they meant a single gang box.

So how do we interpret this?
We should interpret this like we should most information supplied by the manufacturer...it is only an recomendation. In my opinion, the only 110.3(B) instructions are those found in the White Book of the listing standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.