Cable to outdoor LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Do you see a problem with this install. It?s a four conductor cable going directly to an LB that?s installed outdoors. Once the cable enters the interior of the PVC LB, the sheathing is removed, but the conductors continue (without splice) into an outdoor nema 3r panel. The cable is secured within 8 inches of the PVC conduit body (LB). My thoughts: Code complaint?as the cable is secured, and is not susceptible to damage. Your thoughts?

Attachments

• NM to LB.jpg
    NM to LB.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1
  • NM to LB1.jpg
    NM to LB1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1

S'mise

If the conductors are thwn I's say its ok. (Probably not) I think It needs a cord grip or some type of seal to keep the weather out of the cable and enclosure. Besides, whats the point of the nema 3r box if its not sealed?

resistance

If the conductors are thwn I's say its ok. (Probably not) I think It needs a cord grip or some type of seal to keep the weather out of the cable and enclosure. Besides, whats the point of the nema 3r box if its not sealed?
Lost me! The focus is the cable entering the LB—just the same as a cable entering an outdoor weatherproof box>>>Through an interior wall, directly into an outdoor WP box (in this case an LB—with no conduit attached)<<. Note: All equipment is attached to a building or structure—so no cable will be installed in conduit outdoors. *See pic. The electrical box can be a service panel with a conduit body (LB) attached per code. Not sure what you mean. All equipment presented is rated for outdoor use. The cable entering the LB from the interior is fine. It’s how it’s entering, that’s the question. Just a question.
Maybe this is a silly question! :D

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If it is nm cable then it is not compliant but done everywhere with the jacket on or striped off. The wire inside nm is not labeled so it's a no go and nm is not compliant in a raceway outside.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Can't see the cable, but is the unsheathed individual cable marked per 310.11?(2008) 310.120 (2011)

Dang, Dennis is a minute faster...

S'mise

(Sorry,thought cable was outside) Anyway, If ahj wants to split hairs, the cable in the lb is a wet location and conductors must be marked for wet location. I have seen it done that way and ok'd by ahj but better to ask

resistance

If it is nm cable then it is not compliant but done everywhere with the jacket on or striped off. The wire inside nm is not labeled so it's a no go and nm is not compliant in a raceway outside.

So the conductors would have be spliced in a compliant size Lb. then run up to the outdoor rated panel. Hum! What if it SER

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are asking if the cable can be sleeved in the conduit then yes is the answer to that also-- as long as it is stapled within 6" of where it enters the conduit and the end is bushed or has smooth edges

hurk27

The only time I don't see that wet location conductors are needed are where the box is within the building envelope (flush mounted) and sealed against moisture and all openings are sealed to prevent air flow from outside to inside, if this was considered a wet location then we would have a problem using regular box's and even the wood surrounding the box would have a problem, I went to the state with this and they agreed with me, but if the box, raceway, or Conduit Bodies, is surface mounted then it is outside of this dry envelope and would require wet location conductors and as was said NM-B would be a no-go.

The Conduit Body in the OP is being used as a protection sleeve I see this as no different then using a raceway in the same fashion which the code allows, as long as they are secured within the required distance from where they enter it, and a fitting is used (314.17) to prevent the damage of the cable, and the sheath has to continue to the final box or termination point so that it enters this box at least 1/4", and when in a wet location the proper wiring is used, I see no problem.

Also a very common install for a Air disconnect to raise it up to a better hight to make it easier to work on.

iwire

Staff member
The only time I don't see that wet location conductors are needed are where the box is within the building envelope (flush mounted) and sealed against moisture and all openings are sealed to prevent air flow from outside to inside, if this was considered a wet location then we would have a problem using regular box's and even the wood surrounding the box would have a problem, I went to the state with this and they agreed with me, but if the box, raceway, or Conduit Bodies, is surface mounted then it is outside of this dry envelope and would require wet location conductors and as was said NM-B would be a no-go.

If this was true it would be a problem for almost every outdoor disconnect and panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.