Part II - Michaels PVC supporting Pool JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I think it is a tough call for AHJ's with that kind of wording. wonder if UL offers any ideas?

I think it is a very easy call, the box cannot be supported by PVC, options include securing the box itself or switching to RMC or IMC at the box.

I think this really comes down to one of those times where something is a very common practice, it was how we were taught and later we find it is not really right.

I know I have number of those myself. :)

stickboy1375

I think it is a very easy call, the box cannot be supported by PVC, options include securing the box itself or switching to RMC or IMC at the box.

I think this really comes down to one of those times where something is a very common practice, it was how we were taught and later we find it is not really right.

You mean, the box cannot be supported by a pvc raceway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree, sounds like this one has been falling through the cracks since we transitioned to PVC for pool lights. I wonder what the box manufacturers would say about this and the use of their products with only PVC.

stickboy1375

I agree, sounds like this one has been falling through the cracks since we transitioned to PVC for pool lights. I wonder what the box manufacturers would say about this and the use of their products with only PVC.

Im sure they don't care since its not up to them to make sure people use their products as designed... The person installing the product should be looking into proper product usage and code enforcement should be updated... I seriously don't get at all why I have to take required code classes when nobody else is getting any smarter in the field. :)

marti smith

I think they would say we were not using it as intended. I found only this schematic, but even though it is not for the actual j-box, it clearly shows that the conduit should be rigid.

Status
Not open for further replies.