Smoke Detectors in Sprinklered Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Can anyone point me to the to exact location (in NFPA 72 or elsewhere) where I can find the statement (if it really exists) that smoke detectors are not needed in buildings that are fully sprinklered? I have an electronic copy of NFPA 72 open, and the word search is not helping me. This is time critical, as it relates to a teleconference that is scheduled for three hours from now.

Many thanks in advance.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not aware of any such provision in NFPA 72.

There is a similar provision in the IBC, but it relates to Heat Detectors, not Smoke Detectors. I have the 2003 open, it says:

907.2 Where Required ....Where automatic sprinkler protection, installed in accordance with section 903.1.1 or 903.1.2, is provided and connected to the building fire alarm system, automatic heat detectors required by this section shall not be required....

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Yes, around here its the IBC or NFPA 101 (Life safety code) that says when you need an "automatic fire detection system" which would include smoke detectors, and horn/strobes.

There are many occupancies that only need a manual fire alarm system (pull stations and horn/strobes).

Since you have a sprinkler system, you will proabably need a fire alarm panel to monitor tamper and flow switches, and to alert the fire dept. But that doesn't automatically include smoke detectors.

What kind of building or occupancy??

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There are two buildings, both for housing military personnel in an overseas base. One has cooking equipment in each room, and therefore counts as a dwelling unit. The other does not.

I have the 2006 IBC, and I see the statement that heat detectors are not needed in sprinklered buildings. So I was remembering the rule incorrectly. Didn't someone come up with a rule about the code not saying what you remember it to have said? :happyyes:

Thanks again.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
There are two buildings, both for housing military personnel in an overseas base. One has cooking equipment in each room, and therefore counts as a dwelling unit. The other does not.

I have the 2006 IBC, and I see the statement that heat detectors are not needed in sprinklered buildings. So I was remembering the rule incorrectly. Didn't someone come up with a rule about the code not saying what you remember it to have said? :happyyes:

Thanks again.

Yeah, I think we all "been there, done that".

Status
Not open for further replies.