Ballast disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I had a project manager complaining about the money they have to spend on ballast disconnects in our lighting division, (over $60,000 worth) I have looked, but cannot find anywhere that code requires these installed when REPLACING a ballast, only new installations. Is it hidden elswhere in the code? or is this an OSHA mandate?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Found it, they started a couple of pages over with the same numbers, just adding the extra number, but that is what I have read before, and I see nothing saying that is retroactive.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
in '11

XII. Special Provisions for Electric-Discharge Lighting
Systems of 1000 Volts or Less

410.130 General.
(G) Disconnecting Means.
(1) General. In indoor locations other than dwellings and
associated accessory structures, fluorescent luminaires that
utilize double-ended lamps and contain ballast(s) that can
be serviced in place shall have a disconnecting means either
internal or external to each luminaire. For existing
installed luminaires without disconnecting means, at the
time a ballast is replaced a disconnecting means shall be
installed
. The line side terminals of the disconnecting
means shall be guarded.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Missed the highlighted text, I was looking in the 08 when I found it, which does not have that requirement, the change was for 2012. Since most jurisdictions are still on 08', would this still apply?

kwired

Electron manager
Lets not forget exception 5

Exception No. 5: Where more than one luminaire is installed and supplied by other than a multiwire branch circuit, a disconnecting means shall not be required for every luminaire when the design of the installation includes disconnecting means, such that the illuminated space cannot be left in total darkness.

If you can turn off the light you are working on (as well as others using the same neutral in the case of multiwire circuits) and not be left in total darkness the disconnect is not required.

If your project involves $60,000 worth of these disconnects before considering the exception.... there is a good chance not all of the luminaires actually require a disconnect.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Lets not forget exception 5

If you can turn off the light you are working on (as well as others using the same neutral in the case of multiwire circuits) and not be left in total darkness the disconnect is not required.

If your project involves $60,000 worth of these disconnects before considering the exception.... there is a good chance not all of the luminaires actually require a disconnect.

I looked at that, but most of our customers are multiwire /circuit strip fixtures utilizing a 50/50 or 33/33/33 lighting splits. The good news is these are usually open sales floors, so unless the three circuits are supplying multiple rows, the other light sources should be sufficent.

kwired

Electron manager
I looked at that, but most of our customers are multiwire /circuit strip fixtures utilizing a 50/50 or 33/33/33 lighting splits. The good news is these are usually open sales floors, so unless the three circuits are supplying multiple rows, the other light sources should be sufficent.

Even if three components of a MWBC are supplying multiple rows - in a large sales floor chances are that losing one MWBC does not leave you in total darkness.

Now if you want to be able to service these without turning off power - the disconnect is a very good idea anyway.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
$60,000!!!!!!!!!!!

$60,000!!!!!!!!!!!

At .60 each, that is a phenominal amount of disconnects. Labor wise it should be next to nothing since they replace the wire nuts. You do 100,000 ballsts a year?

kwired

Electron manager
At .60 each, that is a phenominal amount of disconnects. Labor wise it should be next to nothing since they replace the wire nuts. You do 100,000 ballsts a year?

And at that kind of quantity they may be getting a good buy on them so who knows how many it actually includes.

renosteinke

What am I missing here?

$60K worth of disconnects? HUH? What sort of disconnect are you using?

The code requirement can be met using a little plastic gizmo, that costs about $0.85. http://www.aikencolon.com/ideal-30-382j-powerplug-luminaire-lighting-ballast-disconnect# . That's quite a bit less than the cost of a single light bulb.

Or, for that matter, the cost of the ballast.

Let me put it in perspective .... I'm at a massive industrial complex today, and I think they have, perhaps, 5000 fixtures in the entire complex. I find it hard to believe anything smaller than the Pentagon, or Chicago's Merchandise Mart, would have 30,000- 60,000 fixtures.

If you have that many fixtures, $60K is pocket change.

OTOH, if you've been hard-wiring $18 HVAC disconnects to every fixture, you've misunderstood the requirement.

hillbilly1

Occupation

Yes, but it sounds like our supplier is ripping us off, or you are using non-UL disconnects, we pay slightly higher than that.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Yes, but it sounds like our supplier is ripping us off, or you are using non-UL disconnects, we pay slightly higher than that.

You can get them from the high priced on line places for .80 each, and even if they were a dollar that is 60,000 ballasts. And in that quantity, you could probably call the ideal rep and find out who they will sell through for far less.

kwired

Electron manager
What am I missing here?

$60K worth of disconnects? HUH? What sort of disconnect are you using?

The code requirement can be met using a little plastic gizmo, that costs about $0.85. http://www.aikencolon.com/ideal-30-382j-powerplug-luminaire-lighting-ballast-disconnect# . That's quite a bit less than the cost of a single light bulb.

Or, for that matter, the cost of the ballast.

Let me put it in perspective .... I'm at a massive industrial complex today, and I think they have, perhaps, 5000 fixtures in the entire complex. I find it hard to believe anything smaller than the Pentagon, or Chicago's Merchandise Mart, would have 30,000- 60,000 fixtures.

If you have that many fixtures, $60K is pocket change.

OTOH, if you've been hard-wiring $18 HVAC disconnects to every fixture, you've misunderstood the requirement.
Maybe they are using "Safety Switches" that are $150.00 each:)

The ballast disconnects are real handy when you have to replace a ballast (duh). $60K for ballast disconnects?
Is that labor and material?
Could just be a lot of disconnects.

hillbilly1

Occupation
The ballast disconnects are real handy when you have to replace a ballast (duh). $60K for ballast disconnects?
Is that labor and material?

Material only, 84 cents a pop, and yes we actually install well over 60,000 ballasts in our lighting division. We are a nationwide company that self performs most of our work.

Status
Not open for further replies.