False Smoke Detector Alarm Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

archerllc

Hello Everyone-

As you can see from my number of posts that I am a "newbie" here. I am a relatively new contractor as well with about 6 years experience, but recently obtained my Masters License and start a small business.

My question actually comes from work done on my personal home. My wife and I purchased a house that was originally built in 1890 and had an addition put on in 1997. There were several updates that were done at that time including re-wiring the existing home. Thy installed hard wire smoke detectors in the master bedroom and the loft above, but did not wire smoke detectors in the remaining older portion of the home. When we started our renovations I wanted to tie smoke detectors in to the rest of the house. I added 4 other detectors and everything was great for about 3 months, than I started getting false alarms in the middle of the night. They would go off for about 10 seconds and stop and then not again for a few nights. After disconnecting one at a time I found that the two original detectors APPEAR to be problem. With both disconnected for the past 6 months there have been no issues.

I used Firex smoke detectors, replacing the original 2 when I installed the rest. I also tried swapping out detectors with an extra that I had thinking that I could have purchased a dud.

I am kind of puzzled as to what might be causing this so I thought I would reach out to you all. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,

-Josh

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am assuming you are still having the problem after replacing the original two units, is that correct? There are a few things that can cause these problems but you need to see if this is happening at the same time of night or if it is sporadic happening. I am guessing something electronic must be causing the problem and I am assuming no one is taking a heavy shower in the middle of the night.

BTW, welcome to the forum

archerllc

Yes, I replaced the original units at the same time that I installed the others. At first we thought it was only at night, but we were around to hear it one afternoon as well.

When you say electronic are you referring to something internally with the detector or a device that may be plugged into the same circuit?

Ha, no regular 2 a.m. showers :happyno:

Thanks

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I recall another thread or two where a similar phantom alarm issue presented itself. I don't recall that there were solutions posted at the time, although, like a cure for hiccups, a lot of remedies were suggested!

More info on the current state; did you replace those two detectors? Where are they located? Is it a full blown alarm, or like a low-battery chirp?

archerllc

I recall another thread or two where a similar phantom alarm issue presented itself. I don't recall that there were solutions posted at the time, although, like a cure for hiccups, a lot of remedies were suggested!

More info on the current state; did you replace those two detectors? Where are they located? Is it a full blown alarm, or like a low-battery chirp?

Thanks, I will try and do a search.

I did replace both of them at the same time I installed the new ones. I also tied swapping an extra one that I had once these issues started. It is a full blown alarm, normally a 3 or 4 beeps and than the others sound off and stop.

-Josh

archerllc

Thanks, I did a search on the forum and found some other things to look into. Including checking for air leaks which could be causing some dust to cause false alarms.

I will report back to let you know what I figure out.

Thanks again,

-Josh

nhfire77

Thanks, I will try and do a search.

It is a full blown alarm, normally a 3 or 4 beeps and than the others sound off and stop.

-Josh

3 or 4 beeps, what is that 2 seconds long? Electronic/RF interference is a good possibility. Changing brands/models normally fixes interference issues.

Are you positive all of the alarms are all the same and listed compatible? Its important and if they arent, it may create your exact problem.

One additional, though unlikely possibility you have a hidden and unknown 8th alarm causing the issue.

After exhausting all options swapping all of them for the same model/lot might be your best bet. I don't mean to spend your money, but its not worth the aggravation and being kept up at night. Are you considering CO alarms? Change them all out to combo smoke/CO now and sleep soundly!

Status
Not open for further replies.