First split a/c install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Dave, I did use nm for part of the circuit and indeed those are scotch locks. Generally speaking I think 3m makes the best wires nuts, honestly though the scotch locks perform terrible on solid but they're great for stranded.

Stickboy, I believe code says #4 and larger require bushings no? I don't have my nec with me.

ritelec

Bonus pic of some screws (Three seen in the photo) my buddy had unintentionally and unknowingly screwed right into the back of the panel from the outside wall where he mounted a piece of wood. Question, could I have used #14 for the indoor unit?

wow nice shot. few more inches over.............oh my.

Dave...I agree not the 14's........why the distinction with the nm ...............14 is 14 right???? nm this, thhn - thwn that??? on the 20amp......should not all be 12's?

Mark I agree with the 4's and larger.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Dave, I did use nm for part of the circuit and indeed those are scotch locks. Generally speaking I think 3m makes the best wires nuts, honestly though the scotch locks perform terrible on solid but they're great for stranded.
I use 3M wire nuts too, and agree they are the best. That ranking does not include Scotch Locs though. I had no idea they were still made.

Stickboy, I believe code says #4 and larger require bushings no? I don't have my nec with me.
Check out his reference. Yours deals with raceways, his has to do with PVC fittings.

mark32

I use 3M wire nuts too, and agree they are the best. That ranking does not include Scotch Locs though. I had no idea they were still made.

Check out his reference. Yours deals with raceways, his has to do with PVC fittings.

I actually bought the Scotch Loks about five years ago, I got them off ebay. After some searching I can't find them now, maybe they have been discontinued? Yeah I read Stckboys code reference and it seems that all male terminal adapters would require a bushing. Everyone agree on this?

stickboy1375

Yeah I read Stckboys code reference and it seems that all male terminal adapters would require a bushing. Everyone agree on this?

It was debated on here before I believe, and it comes down to if you believe the TA provides protection from abrasion. I don't know if it was designed to or not, but I do feel that the edges are kind of sharp, IMO.

mark32

Dave, looks like the Scotchloks are still available but they seem to be hard to find. Looks like you can get them here:

http://www.wescodirect.com/direct/images/products/pdf/394_elec08.pdf

part# for a bag of 500 is 15769

Stickboy, I'll get a closer inspection of some TA's and give my take on if the edge is sharp enough to warrant using the bushings. Not a big deal really, the bushings are cheap but I guess it boils down to one's own judgement.

stickboy1375

Stickboy, I'll get a closer inspection of some TA's and give my take on if the edge is sharp enough to warrant using the bushings. Not a big deal really, the bushings are cheap but I guess it boils down to one's own judgement.

Exactly, I use them because the cost is not an issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.