hayes fire suppresion systen for a restaurant vent hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

RowE

I am wiring up a restaurant vent hood with a Hayes fire suppression system installed, my question is can I wire the motor in series with the on/off switch installed on the vent hood and the fire system shutdown contacts to shut off the fresh air blower. Is this ok or should I put the fresh air blower on a seperate breaker and shut trip it with the shutdown contacts on the fire system.The contact rating of the switch in the fire system panel is 1HP, 21A @115v. The fresh air blower is a fractional HP motor 115vac 5.6 FLA. I don't do much commercial so I appreciate all your help.

nhfire77

I am wiring up a restaurant vent hood with a Hayes fire suppression system installed, my question is can I wire the motor in series with the on/off switch installed on the vent hood and the fire system shutdown contacts to shut off the fresh air blower. Is this ok or should I put the fresh air blower on a seperate breaker and shut trip it with the shutdown contacts on the fire system.The contact rating of the switch in the fire system panel is 1HP, 21A @115v. The fresh air blower is a fractional HP motor 115vac 5.6 FLA. I don't do much commercial so I appreciate all your help.

Fresh air blower? Is this make up air?

nhfire77

You can run it through the hood system without an issue, as long as it goes through the suppression system first. If, there is a fire alarm system, you would need a separate contact to trip the alarm, also separation between line voltage and the FPL must be properly maintained. Typically no splicing is allowed in the suppression control head as well.

Always read the manual of the suppression system, too.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I'm not familiar with this brand of hood suppression system. Can you provide details? A quick Google search turns up fire protection equipment installers with the name "Hayes", but not a brand name. TIA.

RowE

It is a Amerex fire suppression system on a larkin vent hood. I was going off what i was told from the building contractor sorry for the bad info. After looking at it I ended up installing a contactor to drop out when the suppression system is activated, killing power to the make up air and the lighting under the hood.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It is a Amerex fire suppression system on a larkin vent hood. I was going off what i was told from the building contractor sorry for the bad info. After looking at it I ended up installing a contactor to drop out when the suppression system is activated, killing power to the make up air and the lighting under the hood.

The contactor was a good choice. You can do this with a shunt trip breaker, but I think you have fewer failure points with contactor.

copper chopper

if there are any outlets or equipment under the hood that must be shunt triped also from that contactor. also the AHJ might want a valve put on any gas applainces under the hood that gets shut off by that contactor also.
These are just what I have encountered in my life so far.

RowE

Thankfully there are no receptacles under the hood and the gas valve is Tripped shut with the release module of the suppression system. I appreciate everyone's comments.

kwired

Electron manager
Thankfully there are no receptacles under the hood and the gas valve is Tripped shut with the release module of the suppression system. I appreciate everyone's comments.

I don't mean to be nit picky but want to clarify - it doesn't matter if there is receptacles under the hood or not, what is normally required is the shutting down of heat producing appliances whether direct wired, cord and plug connected or whatever, or shutting off the gas if that is the main source of the heat.

iwire

Staff member
I don't mean to be nit picky but want to clarify - it doesn't matter if there is receptacles under the hood or not, what is normally required is the shutting down of heat producing appliances whether direct wired, cord and plug connected or whatever, or shutting off the gas if that is the main source of the heat.

Agree but often if only gas appliances the gas valve is 100% manual from the extinguisher cabinet, no wiring involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.