How many wires are permitted on a standard duplex receptacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
An electrician told me that only 3 wires are now permitted when wiring a DR - P, N & G. If true, what is the code section that states this?

I am not sure what you are asking. A receptacle can hold power in and power out and if it is a 15 amp circuit wires could be installed in the spring clips in the back. Unless the manufacturer says differently I know of no such code.

BTW- welcome to the forum

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
An electrician told me that only 3 wires are now permitted when wiring a DR - P, N & G. If true, what is the code section that states this?

Your information is incorrect. The neutral conductor of a MWBC cannot rely on the device for continuity but you could use all 5 screws on a standard two wire with EGC circuit. Curious as to why you said P, N and G? Positive, negative and ground?

Welcome to the Forum. :)

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

He is correct. 110.3(B). A single can only have 3.

3 on a duplex 1-g, 1 (pair) N, 1 (pair) P.

Now if you are 'looping' wires all the rules change!:angel:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
He is correct. 110.3(B). A single can only have 3. ...

That would depend on the design of the receptacle. Some back wired singles have space for two grounded conductors and two ungrounded conductors.
The following is from the spec sheet for a P&S 8301-I
Tri-drive steel terminal screws. Internal screw pressure-plate back and side wire capability.
Two back wire holes for more wiring flexibility.

XOKO

wires on a std duplex.

wires on a std duplex.

I occassionally go back to work to help out a friend (Licensed). While he saw me wiring a std duplex receptacle w/ NM in and out, he said that since the 2008 code was adopted (NY) you can only put 1 black (P), 1 white (N) and 1 green (G) on the device and that in the future he wanted pigtails. Doesn't make sense when manufacturers still produce screws and backwire connections. Maybe he just meant the white wire only so as not to break the neutral in the downstream circuit if changing the device. Just wanted to ask for some opinions before I challenge the wisdom of the guy who signs my checks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That would depend on the design of the receptacle. Some back wired singles have space for two grounded conductors and two ungrounded conductors.
The following is from the spec sheet for a P&S 8301-I
The P&S 8301-I is a single receptacle. I thought we were discussing duplex receptacles (DR)...???

Regardless, some duplex have 8 backwire holes: 2 per terminal screw; 4L + 4N.

http://tools.passandseymour.com/ProductKnowledge/course.cfm?course_sak=19&cur_seq=2&cur_page=4

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I occassionally go back to work to help out a friend (Licensed). While he saw me wiring a std duplex receptacle w/ NM in and out, he said that since the 2008 code was adopted (NY) you can only put 1 black (P), 1 white (N) and 1 green (G) on the device and that in the future he wanted pigtails. Doesn't make sense when manufacturers still produce screws and backwire connections. Maybe he just meant the white wire only so as not to break the neutral in the downstream circuit if changing the device. Just wanted to ask for some opinions before I challenge the wisdom of the guy who signs my checks.

This is not true. One green is true because there is one screw but there are 4 connection for a 14 gauge wire and 2 connections for a 12 gauge. Now you cannot split the neutral on a MWBC but that has been around for a long time. The 2008 code change was that a MWBC needed handle ties or a dp breaker

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You mean you can't put one wire in each of the holes on the back and another one wrapped around the screw?:)
I don't think the screws are long enough to allow two in the holes and one wrapped.

However, they may be long enough for two in the holes and a crimp-on spade terminal under the screw head. :eek:hmy::thumbsdown:

renosteinke

Anyone else think we might be taking things a bit far, looking too close into things? Next thing you know, someone will ask if different brands of wire nuts can be used in the same box!

Many receptacles have a total of eight 'push-in' ports, plus four screws, plus the ground screw.. That makes it possible to directly attach 13 wires to the device.

But are you allowed to?

Each and every connection point is examined by UL for things like pull-out stregth and wire capacity. Every device is tested as a complete device, wired in the 'ordinary' way. And, yet ...

When asked, UL accurately replied that they've never evaluated any device for use with more than one set of wires. By thier reasoning, they 'just don't know' if it's OK to connect more than three wires to a receptacle - the long-standing practice of split receptacles notwithstanding.

Frankly, I expect they never saw a need. Apart from the obvious 'why on earth would anyone want to hook up 13 wires?' question, there's the simple fact that every termination point is independent of the others. There's also the riddle of how to treat the 'looped' wire.

Just to illustrate the point .... the other day I was mounting two devices (total of four receptacles) in a box. The number of different ways you can wire them is nearly infinite. I think it's unreasonable to expect the code, UL, or anyone else to address every possibility - and just as outrageous for someone to attempt to legislate a single 'correct' way.

Along the same lines, and relevant to those of you who like stranded wire... UL has also never evaluated devices together with those little crimp connectors (forks or rings). UL has gone a bit further, and asserted that the devices are not listed for use this way- but the devices do have their screw terminals and screw-down pressure plates evaluated for use with stranded wire. To be fair to UL, I have not yet seen a crimp connector that naturally fit under the screws; some modification or extreme deformation seems necessary.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
...Each and every connection point is examined by UL for things like pull-out stregth and wire capacity. Every device is tested as a complete device, wired in the 'ordinary' way. And, yet ...

When asked, UL accurately replied that they've never evaluated any device for use with more than one set of wires. By thier reasoning, they 'just don't know' if it's OK to connect more than three wires to a receptacle - the long-standing practice of split receptacles notwithstanding.

Frankly, I expect they never saw a need. Apart from the obvious 'why on earth would anyone want to hook up 13 wires?' question, there's the simple fact that every termination point is independent of the others. There's also the riddle of how to treat the 'looped' wire.

Then why does the UL Guide Information for Receptacles for Plugs and Attachment Plugs (RTRT) say this:
Single and duplex receptacles rated 15 and 20 A that are provided with more than one set of terminals for the connection of line and neutral conductors have been investigated to feed branch-circuit conductors connected to other outlets on a multi-outlet branch circuit, as follows:
  • Back-wire (screw-actuated clamp type) terminations with multiple wire-access holes used concurrently to terminate more than one conductor
  • Side-wire (binding screw) terminals used concurrently with their respective push-in (screwless) terminations to terminate more than one conductor
Single and duplex receptacles rated 15 and 20 A that are provided with more than one set of terminals for the connection of line and neutral conductors have not been investigated to feed branch-circuit conductors connected to other outlets on a multi-outlet branch circuit, as follows:
  • Side-wire (binding screw) terminal with its associated back-wire (screw-actuated clamp type) terminal
  • Multiple conductors under a single binding screw
  • Multiple conductors in a single back-wire hole

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Not all device have the push in termination in the back however most residential ones do. You cannot insert #12 wire in the back of these devices. Now, the commercial grade receptacles that have the pressure plate will allow two wires under the plate however the other style where you wrap the wire can only have one per screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.