Some electrical comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
120706-0933 EDT

To somewhat restate and maybe clarify my original post.

The substation that supplies my son's shop burned up.

The following on-line news article provides an outage map, a photo of a portion of the substation, and a lot of ignorant comments. Don't bother looking at the comments. However, one comment was relative to a U of M Dialysis office. They had to manually finish and send the clients home. Why no backup generator?

http://www.annarbor.com/news/power-out-in-parts-of-ann-arbor/

As I stated before we have a 3 phase Y primary supply to the shop property from said substation. From this primary two pole mounted transformers provide an output 240 V open delta with a high leg. One large transformer with a center tapped secondary supplies the 240/120 single phase loads to the building. A somewhat smaller transformer supplies the high leg. A very common procedure in our area. If the three phase load increases, then a third transformer is added.

With this arrangement before the substation fire our voltage on the three phases was typically 240 V. The difference between phases was typically under 2 volts under varying load conditions. The 2 V difference statement does imply what is the voltage of a particular phase, it is the relationship of the phases.

The substation can not be repaired for a substantial time. Thus, the fix was to tie this substation's load on to one or more other substations. I believe from what happened yesterday that our substation's load was split up between several other nearby substations.

After power was restored by connection to another substation, without knowing exactly where that other sub is, I am guessing about an additional half to one mile of wire was added to feed the loads on our burned up sub. This does not mean that I think they went out and put up a mile of wire. Rather they just found a convenient point to jumper between the subs.

If we had good voltage balance between our three phases before the fire, if there is good voltage balance between the phases at the substation that we were tied into, certainly to be expected, then we should have good balance of our voltages after the tie in. Good balance we do not have, and DTE agrees our unbalance is not expected or satisfactory.

What is the cause? Unknown at this time.

New problem occurred yesterday morning at about 4:30 AM when a major electrical (lightning), wind, and rain storm came thru. Lost power again. That put total DTE outage yesterday at about 225,000. Down to about 100,000 today. But there are a very large number of small outages, 1 or 2 homes.

Our shop outage remains. Today is supposed to be the hottest day of the year. Shop power is not scheduled to return until the end of today. Likely a delay to minimize the loading on whatever substation to which we were connected. My daughter's power was restored last night. She lost power at the 4:30 time yesterday and is only about 1 mile from the shop, but on a different substation.

When power is restored we will see if there is any change in the shop voltage balance.

A somewhat different related subject. My son has a cheap Northern 5 kW generator. He set this up at the shop to run lights and computers. But the UPSs would click on and off. There was substantial voltage fluctuation, also probably frequency. You could hear the engine hunting. Loading did not solve the problem. Put my 1 kVa Sola on this and output voltage was excessive and not correctly regulating. High output voltage was from generator being at somewhere near 63 Hz. Also could not start a single phase air conditioner from this generator.

Then we took my Honda 5 kW to the shop. This ran at 61 Hz with good voltage stability, and the UPSs were happy. Now had lights and computers. But this 4 AM storm had cut power to my daughter's house. Took my son's generator to my daughter's house and it was sufficiently good to power her refrigerator and her neighbor's. The Honda was able to start the air conditioner, but not restart after a short off time of the air conditioner. It would be too marginal to use. Would need a bigger flywheel.

Later we need to see if the Northern generator can be stabilized.

Our problems are minor compared to those south and east.

bob

But who says that is easy? You make it sound like we just load one up and go hang it on a pole. It is not that simple. If you think it is, you have been doing it wrong.

Then you are not doing it correctly.

Absolutely valid. But not easy given the circumstances.

You have 2,000,000 people out and limited resources. You can't just shoot from the hip and say "well this is easy".
The post says 1 substation is out. Where did the 2 million people come from?
Why do you think this installation is so difficult. Can be done in one day. If 3 are needed then install 3 poles or install a bank on 1 pole. Agreed that the bank would be more difficult. But how else can you solve the voltage problem when the sub will be out 13 weeks.

Attachments

• regulator.JPG
    regulator.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for any comments made that were offensive yesterday. I know how regulators are rated, and believe it or not, I know how they work. I was overly offended at the challenge for no reason, and made some wrong assumptions about the meaning of your comments. From there I think it blew out of proportion for no reason. We really do not know each other?s background, and assumptions can easily be made.

Manpower is at a premium when something like a substation burns up. There are still the O&M considerations of the rest of the system that have to be handled, and with all available people working to clean the mess, it can be hard to cut loose enough people to go hang a few regulators. That is, if the company has enough to hang. It can be hard paying on plant that is sitting around with absolutely no ROI for a couple of years. We have spares, but I looked this morning just for curiosity, we don?t have enough to cover regulation of 6 circuits if a substation goes out tomorrow.

I will bow out of this thread now, hopefully with no hard feelings towards me.

mivey

The post says 1 substation is out. Where did the 2 million people come from?
gar's estimate from his post. There may only be a few thousand on this particular sub but it appears there were problems elsewhere as well.

Why do you think this installation is so difficult. Can be done in one day. If 3 are needed then install 3 poles or install a bank on 1 pole. Agreed that the bank would be more difficult. But how else can you solve the voltage problem when the sub will be out 13 weeks.
First of all, if there are 2,000,000 people having problems, this is not the only issue in town and may not be at the top of the list of things to do. So in addition to the crews being up to their necks in alligators, so is the rest of the staff including the staking techs, engineers, and the myriad of other support staff. There are limited spare equipment resources available in the stock yard so we can't just put up regulators wherever we feel like it because we just don't have enough to go around.

There are things that need to be verified such as other regulators and/or tap changers on the same circuit. Cascaded devices have to be set with the proper delays to work correctly and someone has to check it out. The size, location, and nature of the loads is also an important consideration for sizing as well as for viability. We have to determine the proper bandwidth and operating times for the controls. We have to verifying the available thru-fault to make sure it is within the acceptable range of the regulator. We have to determine if there are load switching scenarios that will impact the regulator. We need to be sure we coordinate with downline capacitors that may have an impact. Someone has to check to verify any needed line drop compensation settings. We also need to be sure we are locating the regulators at the best possible location. We need to verify that the equipment can be located where we want and if there are additional make-ready items that should be considered.

Finally, someone also must check to verify the nature of the voltage problem to determine the cause. It could be a problem that is better handled a different way. Maybe the station regulators just need to be adjusted. Maybe a different feed direction will solve the problem and it is about to be changed. Maybe a tie-line needs to be re-worked. Maybe some capacitors need to be replaced/installed. Maybe the loads need to be re-configured or re-balanced. The list can go on and on.

With limited resources, staff up to their necks in problems, etc, it is just not as easy as running out and sticking up some regulators wherever we see a voltage problem.

bob

Mivey
If there were 2 million customers out, then I am not going to make any suggestions at all. I have been through hurricanes on the gulf coast to know the confusion that exists. The original post said one sub was out. The son's workshop had low voltage. That seems like a simple problem. It evolved into something more complex with out any added information. This link http://www.annarbor.com/news/power-out-in-parts-of-ann-arbor/ says 6000 out of service.

mivey

Mivey
If there were 2 million customers out, then I am not going to make any suggestions at all. I have been through hurricanes on the gulf coast to know the confusion that exists. The original post said one sub was out. The son's workshop had low voltage. That seems like a simple problem. It evolved into something more complex with out any added information. This link http://www.annarbor.com/news/power-out-in-parts-of-ann-arbor/ says 6000 out of service.
I looked back at gar's post and he said 2,000,000 customers plus industrial loads on the system. He meant why did they not have spares for a system that size. I mis-read his post and thought that was how many were out.

gar

Occupation
EE
120706-2210 EDT

Power is back up tonight. We still have a comparable bad voltage unbalance.

Over the past week there were up to 300,000 DTE customers out of power, 15% of the service area. This included about 200,000 from yesterday's storm. By tonight probably less than 100,000 are out. I have not checked the outage map in maybe 8 hours. Went canoeing, real tired now.

I doubt power quality will be out to check voltage before Monday.

With all the storm damage I don't expect quick response. There are a very large number of small area outages. Tree limbs in peoples yards taking down just their supply.

gar

Occupation
EE
120708-2020 EDT

The latest DTE outage information indicates only 15,000 customers remain without power out of the original 340,000. This is mostly in small groups under 99, and a few in the 100-500 range.

South and east of us has been much worse.

Our restoration of power seems to have gone well, however, many customers complain.

Far more people need to invest in small generators that can meet their basic needs. This means refrigeration, some heat (in our area heat is no problem for most homes because it is provided by natural gas and thus only a blower motor is required), and then some lighting and miscellaneous stuff. A 5 kW generator is adequate for a minimum here. Earlier in this year we had a power outage in my home area. It lasted about 4 or 5 hours. When I drove around at night to see the extent of the outage I saw only a very small number of houses with generators, 4 or 5 within a couple hundred houses. Most of these people can easily afford a generator.

Somewhere else I have indicated that in my lifetime I have only lost grid power for maybe a total of 5 to 10 days. In the future I can expect the need for a generator to increase because government continues to tighten the regulations on power companies and this will only lead to less redundancy in terms of capacity.

What we have to worry about is a major disruption of the grid system. When I was young virtually all our power was locally generated within maybe 30 miles. Now some of the peaking power comes from 100s of miles away.

If you do not have spares that are immediately available, and a major event occurs, then what will happen?

kwired

Electron manager
120708-2020 EDT

The latest DTE outage information indicates only 15,000 customers remain without power out of the original 340,000. This is mostly in small groups under 99, and a few in the 100-500 range.

Our restoration of power seems to have gone well, however, many customers complain.

Far more people need to invest in small generators that can meet their basic needs. This means refrigeration, some heat (in our area heat is no problem for most homes because it is provided by natural gas and thus only a blower motor is required), and then some lighting and miscellaneous stuff. A 5 kW generator is adequate for a minimum here. Earlier in this year we had a power outage in my home area. It lasted about 4 or 5 hours. When I drove around at night to see the extent of the outage I saw only a very small number of houses with generators, 4 or 5 within a couple hundred houses. Most of these people can easily afford a generator.

Somewhere else I have indicated that in my lifetime I have only lost grid power for maybe a total of 5 to 10 days. In the future I can expect the need for a generator to increase because government continues to tighten the regulations on power companies and this will only lead to less redundancy in terms of capacity.

What we have to worry about is a major disruption of the grid system. When I was young virtually all our power was locally generated within maybe 30 miles. Now some of the peaking power comes from 100s of miles away.

If you do not have spares that are immediately available, and a major event occurs, then what will happen?

Article in local paper said Nebraska Public Power District (largest power supplier in the State) delivered record high amount of energy (do not recall what it was) few days ago when we were in middle of hot spell. The previous record was the day before, and the previous record to that was like 8-10 years ago. I'm sure they probably were not only ones looking at record levels of production as the demand for energy seems to keep increasing - a hot spell just pushes it a little higher than the normal daily levels typically are.

mivey

Write a thank-you note to Congress. Also thank the other customers for wanting cheaper power at the cost of reliability.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
120708-2020 EDT

There were probably more than a few that had generators that wouldn't start.

Most small residential generators use 4 stroke gas engines. They don't like to sit without use. My experience is that if you take 10 generators and let them sit 5 years or so, 2 or 3 won't start and if they do, won't run.

The carbs on small 4 stroke engines are terrible. Either they gum up or the seals and o rings dry out and crack. I had one brought here that wouldn't start after sitting. I got it to run with the choke on half way. In order to make it run properly an entire carb re-build was in order. Owner was happy with it just running. It had less than 10 hours on it but it was 5 or 6 years old.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I want to help you as much as I can, so I found some additional information that was not too complex. I hope you will take time to read it.
Please let me know if this help you.
http://www.powerqualityworld.com/2011/04/step-voltage-regulator-utility.html

hello, 911?

we have two guys running around in a small chat room with flamethrowers,
and they have set the sofa on fire, and burnt all the peanuts on the mini bar... can
you send a large dog over to pee on the sofa and put the fire out?

thank you.....

gar

Occupation
EE
120716-1531 EDT

The latest on our voltage problem.

We are not tied to the alternate substation that was previously indicated.

The primary lines from our normal substation on State Street are about 1/2 mile long. As a temporary measure we are tied to a substation near Morgan and State Street. This is about 3 miles of additional primary line. Today our 120 was at about 107. The DTE servicemen believe the one phase is overloaded compared to the other two phases, and they do not think anything will be done until our substation is fixed.

The second outage occurred where the primary lines crossed the railroad tracks. When the servicemen had gone looking for the problem they could not find a downed wire. Then they closed the switch a saw sparks on the railroad tracks. Slightly later a train just rolled over the wires. Obviously when they weren't powered.

So probably no new information for about 12 weeks. Not good service.

bob

120716-1531 EDT

The primary lines from our normal substation on State Street are about 1/2 mile long. As a temporary measure we are tied to a substation near Morgan and State Street. This is about 3 miles of additional primary line.

This sound like a contradiction. It sound like you are tied to another sub. Just how large is the utility serving your area?

kwired

Electron manager
120716-1531 EDT

The latest on our voltage problem.

The primary lines from our normal substation on State Street are about 1/2 mile long. As a temporary measure we are tied to a substation near Morgan and State Street. This is about 3 miles of additional primary line. Today our 120 was at about 107. The DTE servicemen believe the one phase is overloaded compared to the other two phases, and they do not think anything will be done until our substation is fixed.

The second outage occurred where the primary lines crossed the railroad tracks. When the servicemen had gone looking for the problem they could not find a downed wire. Then they closed the switch a saw sparks on the railroad tracks. Slightly later a train just rolled over the wires. Obviously when they weren't powered.

So probably no new information for about 12 weeks. Not good service.

I realize you are in higher population density than I am, but three miles of line is not considered to be a long circuit on the primary line around here. Nearest sub from where I live is about 8 miles of line. The line is able to be easily switched and supplied from other sub if necessary and the next nearest is probably about 13 miles away. There are occasional regulators out there though, in fact I think there is one about 3 miles away from me, on the way to nearest sub.

bob

Yes I must be in a higher population density. 13 miles between subs is a long way. The longest main feeder is maybe 3 miles of 795 AL in the urban area. As we get out in the less populated area that distance increases. What is the name of your utility?
I was part of the Southern Company.

Status
Not open for further replies.