Residential Light Switching Req.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickjbrown

I found one section of the NEC which seemed to state a light at entry and exits yet, in my understanding there may be a possiblity to do away with a couple three way and four way switches. Many doors open in a small area short distances, perhaps two steps. The owner want to do away with as many switches, etc as posssible. Is there a section of the NEC that clarifies this requirement am missing, I am unable to locate it thus far. Thanks

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I found one section of the NEC which seemed to state a light at entry and exits yet, in my understanding there may be a possiblity to do away with a couple three way and four way switches. Many doors open in a small area short distances, perhaps two steps. The owner want to do away with as many switches, etc as posssible. Is there a section of the NEC that clarifies this requirement am missing, I am unable to locate it thus far. Thanks
Well somehow your post managed to be completed after my first post :?

The only section I can think of is 210.70.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
With a few exceptions such as 210.70, the NEC does not care if you have light switches.
I addressed this once with a Code Change when I had bathroom light switches in the kitchen and the CMP advised it was a "design" issue not a Code/Safety issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.