Code requirements for bonding swiming pools need altering ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadgage

It is my belief that the code requirements for below ground swimming pools (if of steel reinforced concrete, as most are) are not adeqaute.

I believe that a code compliant installation could be dangerous under entirely forseeable fault conditions.
At present a relatively small wire for grounding or bonding is code compliant to the steel reinforcing of a below ground swiming pool.

A large below ground pool forms an excellent connection to the general mass of earth, of far lower resistance than any likely ground rod or array of ground rods.
(I have measured less than 1 ohm)
If therefore a fault occurs, such as an open neutral on the POCO service conductors, then very substantial currents will flow via the pool bonding conductor, and the general mass of the earth.

The ground connection could be so good that nothing would be noticed as being amiss, with almost the whole of the neutral current flowing via the pool, perhaps almost indefinatly.

Consider a ground rod resistance of 50 ohms, and resistance from the pool of 0.5 ohms.
With an open neutral and 100 amps of neutral current, about 99 amps will pass through the grounding or bonding connection to the pool, and about 1 amp via the ground rod.

The relatively small conductor permitted to the pool could therefore become dangerously hot.

It is therefore my belief that Code should require much larger bonding connections to in ground pools.
"No smaller than the service entrance neutral" might be reasonable and is simple, requiring no calculations or tables.
Similar arguments apply to other large structures in good contact with the general mass of earth, such as large buried tanks and pipelines and steel docks, wharves and pontoons.

What do others think ?
Is it worth someone making a formal proposal ?
Not certain how to do this.

kwired

Electron manager
Did not look but seem to recall minimum bonding conductor is 8 AWG. Remember when determining ampacity in T310.15(B)(16) the conductor insulation temperature is taken into consideration. How much current can 8 AWG carry if you don't care about insulation temperature? I don't know but it is quite a bit more than the values in the table.

Having everything within reach of a pool user bonded to ensure no voltage gradients exist over these short distances is what is most important and that is pretty well covered by current NEC. The pool often does exist at an elevated voltage to ground simply because of voltage drop between grounded service conductor and earth, or because of voltage drop on the POCO MGN. Bonding everyting in the pool area eliminates voltages that would otherwise be sensed in the pool vicinity.

stickboy1375

It is my belief that the code requirements for below ground swimming pools (if of steel reinforced concrete, as most are) are not adeqaute.

I believe that a code compliant installation could be dangerous under entirely forseeable fault conditions.
At present a relatively small wire for grounding or bonding is code compliant to the steel reinforcing of a below ground swiming pool.

A large below ground pool forms an excellent connection to the general mass of earth, of far lower resistance than any likely ground rod or array of ground rods.
(I have measured less than 1 ohm)
If therefore a fault occurs, such as an open neutral on the POCO service conductors, then very substantial currents will flow via the pool bonding conductor, and the general mass of the earth.

The ground connection could be so good that nothing would be noticed as being amiss, with almost the whole of the neutral current flowing via the pool, perhaps almost indefinatly.

Consider a ground rod resistance of 50 ohms, and resistance from the pool of 0.5 ohms.
With an open neutral and 100 amps of neutral current, about 99 amps will pass through the grounding or bonding connection to the pool, and about 1 amp via the ground rod.

The relatively small conductor permitted to the pool could therefore become dangerously hot.

It is therefore my belief that Code should require much larger bonding connections to in ground pools.
"No smaller than the service entrance neutral" might be reasonable and is simple, requiring no calculations or tables.
Similar arguments apply to other large structures in good contact with the general mass of earth, such as large buried tanks and pipelines and steel docks, wharves and pontoons.

What do others think ?
Is it worth someone making a formal proposal ?
Not certain how to do this.

One would think an open neutral would be noticed and fixed presumably pretty early on. And there is NO guarantee that the open neutral current will ALL flow on the pools bonding grid. It will flow on EVERY path available. I also agree with Kwired...

Status
Not open for further replies.