box accesability

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb bob

Looking for opinions on an install. Hard lid ceiling in a bathroom with two 2x4 fluorescent lights. CMU walls that extend all the way to the roof deck, basically leaving no access above the ceiling from inside or outside the room. Okay to set a box above the fixtures? I guess I am basically asking if a box is considered accessible if a fixture has to be totally removed from the ceiling to access it. Also, would it sway your opinion if the box feeds the lights? I feel the box would not be considered accessible, whether it is feeding the light or if it was just a pull box for a totally different circuit. Anyone else? :?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If i am understanding your question correctly then here is my comment:

That is how most of the wiring is done. Isn't it? you pull the wire, install the box and the fixture goes over the box. Perfectly fine installation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Boxes above the ceiling and adjacent to recessed florescent fixtures are fine IMO. They have been installed that way for as long as flourescent fixtures have been made.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
From the OP I assumed that removeing the luminare gives you access to the space above

example attic

Looking for opinions on an install. Hard lid ceiling in a bathroom with two 2x4 fluorescent lights. CMU walls that extend all the way to the roof deck, basically leaving no access above the ceiling from inside or outside the room. Okay to set a box above the fixtures? I guess I am basically asking if a box is considered accessible if a fixture has to be totally removed from the ceiling to access it. Also, would it sway your opinion if the box feeds the lights? I feel the box would not be considered accessible, whether it is feeding the light or if it was just a pull box for a totally different circuit. Anyone else? :?
Okay. I am seeing a fixture surface mounted to the drywall. If there is a hole under it big enough to reach up through and get to the box without messing up the ceiling, then yes- accessible. But it would have to be about 23 1/2 inches wide by 30 inches long.

jumper

Okay. I am seeing a fixture surface mounted to the drywall. If there is a hole under it big enough to reach up through and get to the box without messing up the ceiling, then yes- accessible. But it would have to be about 23 1/2 inches wide by 30 inches long.

Dave, how much room do you have to access a recessed fixture box after installation?

plumb bob

From the OP I assumed that removeing the luminare gives you access to the space above

example attic

Yes, this is the scenario. By removing the light you could access the box. The box was supported indepandent of the light, and the installer had left enough slack in the MC whip to drop the light about 3 feet below the hole. Crew was divided on whether we felt it was code compliant or not. I said no way, some guys said no problem, others thought it was okay as long as only the lighting circuit was in the box and no other circuits. An inspector passed it once, we shall see if he does again, the ceiling was opened for some plumbing renovations but will probably still be open when we have inspections in ajacent areas!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, this is the scenario. By removing the light you could access the box. The box was supported indepandent of the light, and the installer had left enough slack in the MC whip to drop the light about 3 feet below the hole. Crew was divided on whether we felt it was code compliant or not. I said no way, some guys said no problem, others thought it was okay as long as only the lighting circuit was in the box and no other circuits. An inspector passed it once, we shall see if he does again, the ceiling was opened for some plumbing renovations but will probably still be open when we have inspections in ajacent areas!

What code section would you cite?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I assume this is a recessed fluorescent light install in a sheetrock ceiling. Is that the case. If so then I think the install is fine.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Well, that is not what I had in mind at all. I take back every thing I said.

Not everything. I did say if the access was big enough then it would be okay.

Last edited:

plumb bob

What code section would you cite?

314.29--- but now i feel like I'm on the spot :ashamed1: :D

I guess i see the fixture "as part of the building" and the box not accessible since you must remove it (the light) to get at the 4 square and whip.
Perhaps I should rethink this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.