Any DirecTV guys out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

OK, I don't have a code question this time, but maybe there are some guys with DTV knowledge.

We have DTV service at home. It's now HD with a single wire (SLM? SWM?). It used to be just standard def. Back when it was standard def, we used to take our receiver with us to our cabin and enjoy the same TV as when we were home. Now that we upgraded to HD, it doesn't work at the cabin. Can I just get a new dish for the cabin? I called DTV and they had a real attitude. They just said "that won't work" and didn't offer any explanation as to why. This seems like it should be simple.

Thanks

kbsparky

I believe they use different dishes that aim to different satellites.

Connecting an HD receiver to a SD antenna won't cut the mustard for several reasons.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I believe they use different dishes that aim to different satellites.

Connecting an HD receiver to a SD antenna won't cut the mustard for several reasons.

I don't think DirectTV uses different dishes, but Dish does though, they have had some horrible looking setups just to get local channels. Terrestrial antenna is the way to go, the hd picture is a lot better than cable or satellite, and the programming is free.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
But the question is can I just install a new HD dish at the cabin and make it work?
Before I say anything else, I have to say I'm no expert... only slight familiarity with DBS systems these days.

The short of it is yes... with several reservations. Your antenna system may have to be identical to the one you have at home. That is, not just the "dish" but the LNB's (the thingy on the end of the forward protrusion) and any little modules in between it and your receiver... and of course the coax. And it will likely have to be pointed at the same satellite(s), provided you're in the same region of the planet as seen from orbit. Their should be some pointing information available on your receiver. I can offer maybe a "pointer" or two, let me know.

Last edited:

sfav8r

Before I say anything else, I have to say I'm no expert... only slight familiarity with DBS systems these days.

The short of it is yes... with several reservations. Your antenna system may have to be identical to the one you have at home. That is, not just the "dish" but the LNB's (the thingy on the end of the forward protrusion) and any little modules in between it and your receiver... and of course the coax. And it will likely have to be pointed at the same satellite(s), provided you're in the same region of the planet as seen from orbit.

That was my plan. I took pics today and I have an SWM dish with a "power module" that says "SWM ODU." My only concern is that someone tole me that DTV now has an electronic serial number on the LNB and that a receiver will only work with the LNB it's registered to. I have no idea if this is true or not. I just hate to spend the money to set it up and then find out that the serial number thing is true. I suppose I could take my KNB with me but that seems like a big pain.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...My only concern is that someone tole me that DTV now has an electronic serial number on the LNB and that a receiver will only work with the LNB it's registered to. I have no idea if this is true or not...
Can't help. I have no idea either.

kbsparky

I don't think DirectTV uses different dishes ....

Actually, they do. The HD satellites are different from their SD ones. When I upgraded to HD service, they had to come out, and replace the dish with a different/larger one. It had to be aimed to a different point as well.

But the question is can I just install a new HD dish at the cabin and make it work?

Probably, yes. If you have the correct size dish, with the correct hardware, and proper azimuth and elevation, etc.

fmtjfw

The frequency plan on the DTV coax is different for SD and HD. Your old dish/LNB probably isn't delivering the right frequencies to the receiver. There are some coax inline warts to fix that (maybe). But the best bet is a new dish and LNB designed for HD.

I believe DirecTV has a "travel" plan primarily for Motor homes. Maybe you can talk to them about that.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Actually, they do. The HD satellites are different from their SD ones. When I upgraded to HD service, they had to come out, and replace the dish with a different/larger one. It had to be aimed to a different point as well.

Probably, yes. If you have the correct size dish, with the correct hardware, and proper azimuth and elevation, etc.

I saw one on top of our building a tenant was using, and it was aimed at several satellites, they used a wider dish on that one, the last one I saw a couple of years ago just had multiple lnb's. Direc Tv burned their bridge with me, I was a long time customer with them when they first started (around $1800 for a dish then) when my old receiver would no longer accept their updates. They did not want to give me the new customer deal everybody else got. I hate Dish Networks tv guide, it's just as bad as cables scrolling menu, so I didn't want to go with them, and cable is 10 miles away from the house, so I just went with terrestrial tv.

Many options for DirecTv antenna

Many options for DirecTv antenna

First join a forum that will help you 100% on this matter. I belong to www.ftaconcept.com
You can get the exact answeres you are lookin for.
Next. To purchase at a very low cost. eBay. Antennas and DirecTv LNBs are on there.
Nothing illeagle about connecting a seperate antenna set up to your second receiver.
DirecTv has no problems with that at all. Anyone can install there own. You do not have to accept DirecTvs installation. You can do it yourself if you know how.
Yes, it MUST be pointed exactly like the one that is working.
The very most important thing to remember it the pole you mount it on MUST be secured and perfectly plumb.
If it is, installing a dish and aiming it, will be easy.
For coax. Use RG-6 quad. Available at Radioshack. Make sure your connections will never get wet.

Rampage_Rick

My only concern is that someone tole me that DTV now has an electronic serial number on the LNB and that a receiver will only work with the LNB it's registered to. I have no idea if this is true or not. I just hate to spend the money to set it up and then find out that the serial number thing is true.
I can't see that being the case. I've done lots of Echostar hardware (Dish, Bell, and Telus) and some Motorola (Shaw Direct)

The purpose of the LNB is to convert the 10+ GHz signals from satellites down to 1+ GHz that can travel through the coax cable. Since satellite signals are sent in 2 different polarizations, they used to power the LNB with different voltage to select a polarization. (usually 13/18V) These signals need a "multiswitch" to split the signal, in case one receiver wants the "high" signal and one wants the "low" one.

Later, they moved to a "stacked" configuration that sends both polarizations simultaneously. For example, the horizontal polarization might be 1000-1800 MHz, and the vertical is 1900-2700 MHz. These were great because you could split the signal with a normal CATV splitter (albeit a high-quality one that worked past 2.5 GHz) As an added bonus, the cable can be longer since voltage drop is less of an issue.

Nowadays most providers have multiple satellites, often with HD channels on one satellite, and SD channels on another. These require yet another type of multiswitch that can toggle between the various satellites and the two polarizations of each. The best system I'm familiar with to date is the DishProPlus which has stacked outputs which are independantly switched, allowing single-coax hookups for dual-tuner receivers.

Anyways, long story short, you should be able to take your receiver to the cabin, so long as you've got the correct LNB(s) and switch to get the HD channels. If it's identical to what you have at home it should be plug-and-play, otherwise you might have to run a satellite scan or "check switch" each time you swap locations. I'm just going to assume that everything is wired with good-quality RG6 like it should be.

Oh, and I wrote this a long time ago: http://www3.telus.net/rampage/skew.htm

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey , Can't you just go into the setup on the receiver and choose the set-up you have at either location. Most of the receivers are capable of many different LNB and dish size configurations. For example.
House 1 may have a 3 LNB and a 18" wide dish and SWM, while:
house 2 may have a 2 LNB and a xxx dish and no SWM.

The problem is that you may not get certian channels.

I do not know about the serial # of a LNB , I would think that would be a pain in the a for repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.