Electrical panels can be considered art?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I keep trying to tell my architect coworkers that electrical panels are beautiful, but they keep insisting that I hide them in closets, rooms, or vaults. :happyyes:

DavidA

Given some of the things out there that are considered 'official' works of art an electrical panel certainly should qualify. I know the control panels my shop turns out sure are purty to look at.

sgunsel

Have you ever seen some of the old commercial DC panels (walls?), they are pretty amazing to look at with the big brass knife switches, giant meters, and black bakelight insulation. Not many left, but some were simply abandoned in place when they gave up on Edison's DC system and converted to AC. They sure look arty to me.

hurk27

Have you ever seen some of the old commercial DC panels (walls?), they are pretty amazing to look at with the big brass knife switches, giant meters, and black bakelight insulation. Not many left, but some were simply abandoned in place when they gave up on Edison's DC system and converted to AC. They sure look arty to me.

We had a Chinese theater in a city here (Miller Beach) that back when we did build out (1987) for a bank in the front part of it still had the old DC stage lighting system in place, including the polished engraved brass panel covers and all, including the covers on the very large dimmer rheostats, I made a commit that these should be in a museum, as they were in pristine condition and still connected to the lights (changed to 120 VAC at some later date).

Going into the back of this place was like taking a walk back in time as the stage and seats was all in place, the lights was mounted along the front of the stage in a trough with a few hanging from above, all the electric was open buss with knife switch's and open fuses.

Just wish I had a camera back then, I had posted along time ago about this place and was going to try to get back in there to take photo's but the bank purchased the building and would not allow it.

hurk27

Wow very vintage with a roll chart recorder

Here are some photo's that some one posted a few years back (I think it was Bob(iwire)

This thread brought the thought of them to mind as you can see why:

Harold7.jpg

Harold5.jpg

Harold4.jpg

Harold1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.