Question about outdoor panels and waterways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got a job tomorrow to install a sub panel and receptacle for an irrigation system. My foreman wanted me to look up the code requirements for minimum distance from the creek to the panel (learning experience and all) but so far I am coming up confused. He also wanted me to look up information concerning grounding at the location. Here is what Ive found:

Article 682
Section III says nothing about needing a local ground rod connected to the local ground network or relying on the ground rod on the main panel at the house. 682.31(B) just says to carry a ground out there.

Section 682.11 says service equipment must be more than 5 feet from the bank. The planned location is 9 feet away.

Just wanting to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I show up and not look like a fool. :D

kwired

Electron manager
Ive got a job tomorrow to install a sub panel and receptacle for an irrigation system. My foreman wanted me to look up the code requirements for minimum distance from the creek to the panel (learning experience and all) but so far I am coming up confused. He also wanted me to look up information concerning grounding at the location. Here is what Ive found:

Article 682
Section III says nothing about needing a local ground rod connected to the local ground network or relying on the ground rod on the main panel at the house. 682.31(B) just says to carry a ground out there.

Section 682.11 says service equipment must be more than 5 feet from the bank. The planned location is 9 feet away.

Just wanting to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I show up and not look like a fool. :D

682.11 is concerning service equipment. It must be on land and 5 feet or more from shoreline.

Non service equipment - could be in the water if designed for it. Likely not going to find a panel designed to be submerged but could be on a floating dock if above the electrical datum plane. I would think in this case the panel should have 110.26 working clearance on the dock in front of it.

If your wiring is only for a pump that draws water from the creek I don't think art 682 applies. If it is a submersible pump in the creek or a pump on a floating dock, only the wiring that is within/ above the body of water applies to 682. Your panel on land is just an outdoor panel like it would be most anywhere else outdoors.

Pay particular attention to 682.2 definitions of electrical datum plane and shoreline when determining if 682 applies, if you are outside those areas I don't think 682 applies at all.

Figuring out if 682 applies or not has been my main problem. Its the closest thing that I can find in the NEC that comes close to this. This pump is not submersible and is not hardwired. I do know that it falls under cord connected equipment.

John120/240

Article 682

Here is my understanding of your situation:

You have a sub panel. 4 wire feed from main panel, wire sized to OCPD feeding sub panel.

Seperate grounds and neutrals at sub panel. Drive a ground rod at sub panel w/# 6 wire.

GFCI protect outlets w/ GFCI device or breaker

kwired

Electron manager
Figuring out if 682 applies or not has been my main problem. Its the closest thing that I can find in the NEC that comes close to this. This pump is not submersible and is not hardwired. I do know that it falls under cord connected equipment.

Is anything electrical within the electrical datum plane? NEC doesn't mention the 100 year flooding levels but they are worth consideration in determining the electrical datum plane. If nothing is within those areas I don't believe you have a 682 application. If you have items within that area only those items need 682 applied. So you could have a pump panel outside the 682 area and the pump inside the 682 area. You don't want to get a pump panel that is submersible - even if there is such a thing. A pump that is not submersible could still be placed high enough to be above the EDP. That leaves cables and raceways being all that may be within the EDP. 682 would apply to the pump that is above the EDP but within the shore - but there is not much in 682 that changes general rules in ch 1-4 for the motor itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.