LED lighting observed. Commercial public restroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric-Light

One of the WalMarts I visited has replaced T8 vandal resistant fixtures with what appears to be CREE LR6 can lights. The prior lamps were F32T8/850.

This was done together with a remodel, but it looks warmer, however the CREE one is most likley 4,000K.

Just as I've verified experimentally a while ago, it is a "harder" light than fluorescent, but not quite as hard as halogen track lights.

It produces stronger shadow of activities behind partitions.

TNBaer

Just had this done in my own Walmart a couple years ago. They are using the same Cree "cans" I snag at Home Depot for about $40 a pop. There's some significant shadowing but uniformity is good. Again, not my cup of tea for this situation. In residential, I like this product a lot. The instant on of LED is a huge feature over CFL. In a Walmart restroom that function is likely unimportant. On the upside, no ballast to change. A lot of electricians don't carry a wide-range of CFL ballasts on the shelf. Then again, none that I know of carry CREE retrofit heads either. :D

Just had this done in my own Walmart a couple years ago. They are using the same Cree "cans" I snag at Home Depot for about $40 a pop. There's some significant shadowing but uniformity is good. Again, not my cup of tea for this situation. In residential, I like this product a lot. The instant on of LED is a huge feature over CFL. In a Walmart restroom that function is likely unimportant. On the upside, no ballast to change. A lot of electricians don't carry a wide-range of CFL ballasts on the shelf. Then again, none that I know of carry CREE retrofit heads either. :D

Hm... isn't there motion sensors in the WM bathrooms? Instant-on would be a fairly good option for that.

Ragin Cajun

Functionally there ARE "ballasts" in any LED fixture. All LED's require a DC power supply that's just as or more sensitive to heat, failure, etc. as a conventional ballast.

RC

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Just had this done in my own Walmart a couple years ago. They are using the same Cree "cans" I snag at Home Depot for about $40 a pop.

While they all look the same on the outside, the cree trims we are using in commercial applications are not the same as what home depot sells, and about three times the cost.

Occupation
Electrical contractor
While they all look the same on the outside, the cree trims we are using in commercial applications are not the same as what home depot sells, and about three times the cost.

How do you know they are different? To me they look and act the same and are probably made in the same factory in China. I would really like to know the difference because it is better to sell a higher periced exculisve item than one they can get off the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.