Preferred Time Delay For Occupancy Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTLight

I'm usually setting them to 20 minutes on sensors with a walk-through setting that will shut the lights off after 3 minutes if there was only activity in the area for under a minute.

shamsdebout

Thanks for the responses. Always good to see what others are doing.

We do have a client who is very adamant about his sensors being set to maximum sensitivity, maximum time delay and disable walk through and photo sensitivity settings.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

We do have a client who is very adamant about his sensors being set to maximum sensitivity, maximum time delay and disable walk through and photo sensitivity settings.

He pays the electric bill!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

Sound like he's trying to fudge around local/state energy usage mandates.

kwired

Electron manager
Depends some on the usage of the room.

You don't want someone to enter the far stall in a restroom and have the lights go out while they are still in there:happyno:

I may be wrong but doesn't number of lamp starts effect lamp life? What costs more, a few extra minutes of "on" time or more frequent lamp replacement? It would really need a more involved study to find the average "on" time, number of starts, and effects on lamp life, and then factor in cost of energy and cost of lamps to really know which is best.

Of course the "green" people will say do what ever uses less energy no matter the cost.

TNBaer

Depends some on the usage of the room.

You don't want someone to enter the far stall in a restroom and have the lights go out while they are still in there:happyno:

I may be wrong but doesn't number of lamp starts effect lamp life? What costs more, a few extra minutes of "on" time or more frequent lamp replacement? It would really need a more involved study to find the average "on" time, number of starts, and effects on lamp life, and then factor in cost of energy and cost of lamps to really know which is best.

Of course the "green" people will say do what ever uses less energy no matter the cost.

If you're using T8s they are probably instant start so starts certainly affects lamp life. Sensor Switch, one of the only companies that I actively promote, makes wall switch sensors that are supposed to regulate the voltage in such a way to limit premature lamp failure. The sensor guys; Leviton, WattStopper, etc; seem to think 10 minutes is the ideal range. If the area is little used, like a broom closet, you might want to shorten it for just a couple minutes.

If you're concerned about situations with the "far stall" or unseen areas might a suggest a Sensor Switch WSD-WH-PDT with a little microphone in it?

kwired

Electron manager
If you're using T8s they are probably instant start so starts certainly affects lamp life. Sensor Switch, one of the only companies that I actively promote, makes wall switch sensors that are supposed to regulate the voltage in such a way to limit premature lamp failure. The sensor guys; Leviton, WattStopper, etc; seem to think 10 minutes is the ideal range. If the area is little used, like a broom closet, you might want to shorten it for just a couple minutes.

If you're concerned about situations with the "far stall" or unseen areas might a suggest a Sensor Switch WSD-WH-PDT with a little microphone in it?
Some peole are not all that open about some things and try to be quiet in the restroom, but I guess the microphone idea would still work when they holler "Hey, who turned off the lights":happyyes:

shamsdebout

I have never specified the sensor switch product. How do you compare their technology to a WattStopper dual tech sensor?

sii

I got a chuckle out of the outside sales rep at our local welding supply house the other day. When I walked in I noticed he was sitting at his desk int he dark but didn't give it a second thought. When I left I went over to the door to say high and when he turned his head to look at me, the lights came on.

TNBaer

I have never specified the sensor switch product. How do you compare their technology to a WattStopper dual tech sensor?

There's no question, Sensor Switch is better. It's easier to install. It doesn't require a ground wire. It doesn't require a neutral. It comes preset to ten minutes.

The technology seems to be equal or better. The dual tech Sensor Switch sensors use a different technology then anyone else and I think it's more accurate.

When I bid jobs there are only a couple specific things I either can't have (Sylvania T5 HO Lamps) and something else I need to have (Sensor Switch. I accept no substitutes.). They always install, they always work, they are by far easier to work with. I honestly don't know why anyone would use anything else.

kwired

Electron manager
There's no question, Sensor Switch is better. It's easier to install. It doesn't require a ground wire. It doesn't require a neutral. It comes preset to ten minutes.

You do still need to install them don't you, you sound like a used car salesman.:) You make it sound like all you have to do is throw it at the spot you need it and it will stick when it hits and you are done with the install:thumbsup:

BullsnPyrs

Stick it to the wall

Stick it to the wall

You do still need to install them don't you, you sound like a used car salesman.:) You make it sound like all you have to do is throw it at the spot you need it and it will stick when it hits and you are done with the install:thumbsup:

Now you are talking about the wireless technologies.

you still have to do alittle synchronizing after you throw it against the wall.:D

TNBaer

Now you are talking about the wireless technologies.

you still have to do alittle synchronizing after you throw it against the wall.:D

No syncronization needed! It's all factory preset! :D

You do still need to install them don't you, you sound like a used car salesman.

Oh, no I don't. I'll never talk you into leasing Sensor Switches. :)

It's probably not a big deal if you're installing one or two of these things. When you're installing 50 of them, trust me, Sensor Switch's benefits are a huge deal.

Electric-Light

TNBear, what would you suggest for maximizing lamp life on lamps that are almost always lit,but are cycled hundreds of times a day with the off time per cycle being only a few seconds?

It seems like a odd situation, but that's what goes on for interior lighting for electric rail cars. As the pantograph go over non-electrified zone or there's a jump in connection the lights go off briefly but stays. I'd guess 16-18 hrs a day. Lighting does not have ride-thru UPS. The trains run on 600v DC, but not sure what lighting runs on

I suppose that wear and tear on lamps are comparable to 5-10min/cycle usage.

Programmed rapid start or LEDs?

kwired

Electron manager
TNBear, what would you suggest for maximizing lamp life on lamps that are almost always lit,but are cycled hundreds of times a day with the off time per cycle being only a few seconds?

It seems like a odd situation, but that's what goes on for interior lighting for electric rail cars. As the pantograph go over non-electrified zone or there's a jump in connection the lights go off briefly but stays. I'd guess 16-18 hrs a day. Lighting does not have ride-thru UPS. The trains run on 600v DC, but not sure what lighting runs on

I suppose that wear and tear on lamps are comparable to 5-10min/cycle usage.

Programmed rapid start or LEDs?

Would seem logical to me to put them on a ride thru UPS like you mention, or if they operate on DC a fairly simple backup battery system would allow ride thru. The issue will become maintenance of these batteries though - even with the UPS. If they are not maintained the problem comes right back once the battery fails.

If they are DC supplied a simpler and less maintenance idea may be use of ride thru capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.