$600 bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I ended up changing one of my 1200A CBs to a 1600A.

The catalog said to order a lug mounting kit with the lugs. I figured it was some fasteners, so I ordered six lugs and 6 lug mounting kits.

The lug mounting kits turned out to almost $600 EACH. The six mounting kits cost more than the breaker.

I need to call the CB salesman Monday and find out what the heck is going on.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thinking you only needed one kit, not six.

probably. I have to wonder what kind of bolts cost $600 for a set.

all the breakers under 1600A I have bought in the past come with the lugs already on them. wonder why the 1600A CB is different.

I was being nice to the installer and got lugs for the line side as well. maybe I will not be so nice and save some money. i don't know what the lugs themselves cost.

Even if I only need one $600 mounting kit, that seems insane for some fasteners. Must be more to it.

iwire

Staff member
I ordered four Square D lug kits for some modifications I was doing. I thought I needed three kits but ordered four kits in case we broke one. (It was a long planned outage and had to go perfect.)

Imagine my surprise when each kit included 6 sets of lugs and hardware. :eek:hmy:

kwired

Electron manager
Don't you love how this kind of equipment is sold?

I once needed maybe half dozen breakers for Square D NF panel for loads that were being added.

My salesman told me to put them on an order with a panel and they would be cheaper. So we got a panel and breakers (plus some extra breakers) for less than they would have sold me half dozen breakers I initially wanted:happyno:

iwire

Staff member
Don't you love how this kind of equipment is sold?

I once needed maybe half dozen breakers for Square D NF panel for loads that were being added.

My salesman told me to put them on an order with a panel and they would be cheaper. So we got a panel and breakers (plus some extra breakers) for less than they would have sold me half dozen breakers I initially wanted:happyno:

We do that, we have order panels loaded with breakers just to get a couple of breakers. Or order a panel we need but have it loaded with spares to pull out for other uses.

I went to our warehouse one day and brand new, still in the crates bus duct sections were in the dumpster.

It was cheaper to order the bus duct with the bus duct switches we needed instead of just ordering the switches separately. :blink:

kwired

Electron manager
We do that, we have order panels loaded with breakers just to get a couple of breakers. Or order a panel we need but have it loaded with spares to pull out for other uses.

I went to our warehouse one day and brand new, still in the crates bus duct sections were in the dumpster.

It was cheaper to order the bus duct with the bus duct switches we needed instead of just ordering the switches separately. :blink:

How long until someone takes them for the copper if they are in the dumpster?

growler

all the breakers under 1600A I have bought in the past come with the lugs already on them. wonder why the 1600A CB is different.

It's normal to order the lugs seperate on any larger breaker. They would have no idea how you intend to feed this breaker (cable size ) or the type of lugs needed.

Hardware is expensive. I think it's because once you buy the breaker they know they have you have to buy the lugs and associated hardware. They have got you. :happyyes:

If you were just changing out the 1200A breaker because it was bad you could use the old lugs and hardware ( if there was no damage ). Now that you are increasing the size you will need additional feeder cables or larger cables and will need different lugs.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We have a customer that does not want individual xfmrs in MCC sections.

It is quite a bit cheaper for us to buy a std MCC with the xfmrs in the sections and just remove them, even considering the labor.

nhfire77

Same thing with fire alarm panels, by the board only it's 20% more than the whole can etc. Manufacturer says a board only is spare parts. Cost more to package smaller amounts of board only's.

Makes fiscal sense, but it's a waste.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have to wonder what kind of bolts cost $600 for a set.

Even if I only need one $600 mounting kit, that seems insane
for some fasteners. Must be more to it.

not necessarily. i needed a kit for a 400 amp floor
standing piece of gear.... the arms, T nuts, and brackets
were $800...... over 20 years ago.

i ran into a need for a 3 pole, 100 amp trip, 100 amp frame
siemens breaker, and kit, and faceplate to fit in a 2,000 amp
480 volt piece of gear.......

breaker and kit were $3,150 from the manufacturer.
with a 14 day lead time.

i got the exact same stuff, NIB from my breaker guy, for $1,100.

they bend you over, 'cause they can.

templdl

Depending upon what you need to buy sometimes you have to think outside the box. I have a customer that needted to add (2) DS air circuit breakers to and existing line up. I encouraged them to purchase a single structure with (2) breakers then scap the structure. I can't remember what the cost savings was but it was significant. They loved it.
It may not work in the bolt situation but there may be opportunities elsewhere. I saw the someone made a good point regarding if it is a per piece price or a kit price. Wile workDepending upon what you need to buy sometimes you have to think outside the box. I have a customer that needed to add (2) DS air circuit breakers to and existing line up. I encouraged them to purchase a single structure with (2) breakers then scrap the structure. I can't remember what the cost savings was but it was significant. They loved it. So keep your options open.
I saw that someone made a good point regarding if it is a per-piece price or a kit price. While working as a breaker sales and applications engineer I can attest that even for me it was sometime difficult to define from the literature and catalog. It wasn't unusual to order (1) and you really needed (3) and you order (3) and you actually get enough for (6) and found many times that it wasn't consistent. And it was my stuff that I was representing. Go figure. Sometimes you just can't win.
're gettingI can attest that even for me it was sometime difficult to define from the literature and catalog what your getting. It wasn't unusual to order (1) and you really needed (3) and you order (3) and you actually get enough for (6) and found many times that it wasn't consistant. And it was my stuff that I was representing. Go figure. Sometimes you just can't win.

zog

I ended up changing one of my 1200A CBs to a 1600A.

The catalog said to order a lug mounting kit with the lugs. I figured it was some fasteners, so I ordered six lugs and 6 lug mounting kits.

The lug mounting kits turned out to almost $600 EACH. The six mounting kits cost more than the breaker.

I need to call the CB salesman Monday and find out what the heck is going on.

What type of breaker?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The saga continues. For some reason the lug mounting assembly for this breaker is not going to be available for several months. Siemens has not said why. It turns out there is another mounting means, but they require different lugs to use.

The new mounting means is only a little over $300, but each of the six lugs is well over $100 each. Ouch!

On the bright side, Siemens claims to have them in stock somewhere in NC.

cdslotz

The saga continues. For some reason the lug mounting assembly for this breaker is not going to be available for several months. Siemens has not said why. It turns out there is another mounting means, but they require different lugs to use.

The new mounting means is only a little over $300, but each of the six lugs is well over $100 each. Ouch!

Give these guys a call. They have helped us many times.
If they have what you need, they can next day ship

http://www.breakerbroker.com/

zog

These guys should have what you need www.astrocontrols.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.