Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Can?t find it, or is it there. I re-call something about feeders having to be protected between floors (Example: Three story building?being served by a meter pack on the first level). Anyone no where it is? TY in advance

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are you trying to go in the building and up to the third floor with the service conductors? without a disconnect

resistance

Are you trying to go in the building and up to the third floor with the service conductors? without a disconnect
There’s a main service disconnect ahead of the feed—other than that we would be subject to a 15 foot rule (where applicable) per our jurisdiction. I’m asking about protection (as in conduit)—where the feeders pass through the floor between levels (floors). This is a residential/commercial structure.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There?s a main service disconnect ahead of the feed?other than that we would be subject to a 15 foot rule per our jurisdiction.

If there is a main disconnect ahead of the feed then the feeder is protected. Are you talking about physically protecting the cable where it goes thru a floor. That is true if it is exposed on the surface not thru the studs.

resistance

If there is a main disconnect ahead of the feed then the feeder is protected. Are you talking about physically protecting the cable where it goes thru a floor. That is true if it is exposed on the surface not thru the studs.
Yes, physical. But inside the wall. My subject must involve an Osha or building code rule.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Yes, there must be a mis-understanding. Thanks for the input!

I am going to take it that you got red taged? If it was run exsposed as Dennis noted in IRC E3702.3.2 states "where passing through a floor, The cable shall be enclosed in rigid metal conduit, electrical metalic tubing, intermediate metal conduit, schedule 80 PVC rigid non metalic conduit, or other metal pipe exstending not less than 6 inches above floor"

resistance

I am going to take it that you got red taged? If it was run exsposed as Dennis noted in IRC E3702.3.2 states "where passing through a floor, The cable shall be enclosed in rigid metal conduit, electrical metalic tubing, intermediate metal conduit, schedule 80 PVC rigid non metalic conduit, or other metal pipe exstending not less than 6 inches above floor"
No I wasn’t red tagged. I was just wondering, as this came up—as a topic--at a multi-family project. I told a j-man (01) that it didn’t need protection if installed behind a wall, but he said it did, as they where required to do it on another project. Second guessing myself!! Seems I’m correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.