240 volt 20 amp receptacle near sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark prior

I am installing cord and plug connected equipment that opperates a cleaning station for automotive parts. Attached to the cleaning station is a sink (running water).This is an industrial application, only qualified persons will unplug the cord. Branch circuit is 240 volt 20 amp. L6-20. Do I need to provide GFCI protection, and if so where in the code does it require this.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I am installing cord and plug connected equipment that opperates a cleaning station for automotive parts. Attached to the cleaning station is a sink (running water).This is an industrial application, only qualified persons will unplug the cord. Branch circuit is 240 volt 20 amp. L6-20. Do I need to provide GFCI protection, and if so where in the code does it require this.

Mark - I'm guessing you have a code book, And i'm guessing you know branch circuits are in art 210. That's about ten pages. I'm going to suggest you read the ten pages then ask. I don't mind helping out - I also wouldn't mind you reading it as well.

ice

iceworm

Occupation
Mark - I have a couple of design questions - not looking at the code.

... This is an industrial application, ...
So it is not a spec built house where the additional $50 will kill the deal.

... only qualified persons will unplug the cord. ...
Why would this matter? GFIs are personnel protection if the equipment fails. How would a qualified person make this safer?

... Branch circuit is 240 volt 20 amp. L6-20. ...
What does a GFI CB cost - $100?

... Do I need to provide GFCI protection, ...
I am wondering, regardless of the code, why wouldn't yu put in a GFCI protected receptacle?

ice

realolman

....... Do I need to provide GFCI protection, and if so where in the code does it require this.

I don't think you do.

If I am wrong ( and I often am ) this is the place to get corrected.;) Someone here will be able to quote chapter and verse. And I mean that as a good thing.

Welcome to the forum.

iceworm

Occupation

... I am wondering, regardless of the code, why wouldn't yu put in a GFCI protected receptacle?

Competitive bidding is often a driving factor.

Mark -
Generally, when one works industrial, the customers are not so short sighted as to mandate building to code minimums. It generally just is not in their favor. They want safety, reliability, and a cost-effective installation. This is rarely a code minimum job.

But maybe in this case they are that short-sighted. In that case, I'm thinking the station does not need to be portable because it has a sink attached and that means plumbing. So, if it is a competitive bid issue, why not hard wire it?

ice

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Mark -
Generally, when one works industrial, the customers are not so short sighted as to mandate building to code minimums. It generally just is not in their favor. They want safety, reliability, and a cost-effective installation. This is rarely a code minimum job.

But maybe in this case they are that short-sighted. In that case, I'm thinking the station does not need to be portable because it has a sink attached and that means plumbing. So, if it is a competitive bid issue, why not hard wire it?

ice

If he hard wires it then he voids the warranty and the UL listing. I would have no trouble connecting it to a non gfci 240V recep. Ranges are 240v and often within 6' of a sink

iceworm

Occupation
If he hard wires it then he voids the warranty and the UL listing. ...
I'm sure you are right. But tell me, how is it you know this? Not guess, not maybe, but KNOW. But then again, I've never even heard of an AHJ red-tagging a job, for UL violation, for changing out to a better cord.

... I would have no trouble connecting it to a non gfci 240V recep. ...
I'm certainly not against plugging the appliance in to a non-gfi protected receptacle. I just don't see any point in why. Especially since there are alternatives that have very little cost increase.

... Ranges are 240v and often within 6' of a sink
Absolutely true. But this is not a range. This is not a house.

90.1.B, 90.1.C Generally my industrial customers are interested in "cost effective" - not "cheapest installed cost". Safety, reliability, maintainability are all part of cost effective.

You answered his question. If that is all he needs - then he's off and running. And I'm fine with that. But if there is an interest in a good industrial grade job, an opening for discussion has been provided.

ice

Status
Not open for further replies.