Breaker keeps tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
My AC unit is on a separate circuit and has been like that since we got it 3 years ago. THe breaker keeps tripping. I imagine it is either a bad breaker or the unit. Correct? ok, all the PIA questions I ask now one pertaining to my own home :(...thanks.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My AC unit is on a separate circuit and has been like that since we got it 3 years ago. THe breaker keeps tripping. I imagine it is either a bad breaker or the unit. Correct? ok, all the PIA questions I ask now one pertaining to my own home :(...thanks.

I would check the current level to see what it is when the thing is running.

Sometimes motors will exhibit intermittant shorts within the windings as well. You can sometimes see them on an analog current meter as the needle making a brief excursion upward.

templdl

Is the breaker warm to the touch?
If you are standing there in front of the breaker when it trips will it reset right away without waiting for do you have to wait a bit before the breaker will latch?
If the breaker can be latched and closed without waiting it most likely tripped on instantaneous.
If you have to wait a bit before you can latch the breaker that's an indication that the thermal element must be given time to cool off first before the breaker can be reset and closed. The breaker may be warm to the touch if it tripped thermally.
Also, if the breaker tripped thermally don't overlook the load side connection. Turn the breaker off remove the conductors and reinstall them to assure that the origin of any heating is not due to a poor connection to the breaker. If the wires are not secured there will be heat generated which will find its way to the thermal elements which causes the breaker to derate.

Bottom line? Don't overlook the obvious.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Seriously, we cannot help you work on your own home. Even our moderators who are engineers cannot get help for their own homes. Since you don't do electrical work I advise you to call a heating contractor as my bet it is the compressor going bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.