black tape on white wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
black tape on white wire.

black tape on white wire.

Not trying to be sarcastic but think about this-- why would you put black tape on a white wire if it were 120V. The idea is to mark the white wire of a cable as an ungrounded (hot) conductor. It should be taped another color if the circuit is 240V so that someone doesn't mistake the white wire as a neutral.

when identifying a switch leg. I have always put tape on the white wire:angel:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
................How many of you still believe that 480/277 is B/O/Y and that the neutral is gray?.......

I was forced by a big city inspector to use B/O/Y on the 480, and since I also had a 120/240 delta service also, I had to use the required orange on the high leg. I could not get it through to him that I was required to use the orange on the delta service, but could use a different color other than orange on the 277/480 volt service. He would not accept Y/B/P, and made me change it. :roll:

kwired

Electron manager
I'm tired of hearing how expensive the code book has become.

Same here, pretty much everything cost more than it used to, so maybe we should quit purchasing anything at all.

I suppose you could go to a library and use a copy they may have instead of purchasing one, but that sounds pretty inconvenient if you need it frequently, like someone in the trade should.

realolman

Does new code book every three years cost about $.08 per day? I'm not good at math.

When you state it as you have, it seems unreasonable to complain about the price. However. the point I would like to make is that when there are laws requiring it's use, the actual cost becomes entangled with the principle.

How much does it cost to obtain a copy of your state's motor vehicle code?

If there were more than one source of the laws, would it still be 80 bucks?

If the state passed a law requiring you to buy all your materials from Home Depot, how would you feel about that, even if their prices seemed reasonable?

I wish I could get 8 cents a day from every electrician.

As you have shown, it really isn't an unreasonable sum... when can I expect to start receiving checks from you?:)

Last edited:

fmtjfw

You don't have to buy it, just read it and follow it.

You don't have to buy it, just read it and follow it.

Enough with the argument that you have to buy something from a monopoly.
You don't have to buy it, you can read it online for free at the NFPA site.
Can't afford, or don't want buy internet access? Go to the local Starbucks, McDonalds, Paneras ... and use the free WIFI.
Can't afford or don't want to buy a computer? Go to your local library.
Can't afford or don't want a library card? At this point I'm just sorry for you.:weeping:

http://www.nfpa.org/onlinepreview/online_preview_document.asp?id=7011SB

You need to have an account with NFPA, but it is free.

[Now we can go on the argument that the code is stupid or limiting our creativity:p]

kwired

Electron manager
Enough with the argument that you have to buy something from a monopoly.
You don't have to buy it, you can read it online for free at the NFPA site.
Can't afford, or don't want buy internet access? Go to the local Starbucks, McDonalds, Paneras ... and use the free WIFI.
Can't afford or don't want to buy a computer? Go to your local library.
Can't afford or don't want a library card? At this point I'm just sorry for you.:weeping:

http://www.nfpa.org/onlinepreview/online_preview_document.asp?id=7011SB

You need to have an account with NFPA, but it is free.

[Now we can go on the argument that the code is stupid or limiting our creativity:p]
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

How much do you suppose your state, city, county ahj would have to spend to do the reasearch that would be needed to develop anything even close to what the NEC is for use as their official code? The thing about adopting the NEC or other NFPA codes is someone has already done all the reasearch necessary to make up that code. Those that choose to amend the NEC usually bring with it some potential liability for whatever they have amended, yet usually make these amendments based on opinions rather than research, testing, and statistics based on accidents that are happening in the real world. That said people will have controversy with items in the NEC, but that is part of the beauty of such a document, anyone is able to submit proposals for changing it, if you can produce good enough evidence for the necessity of a change it can happen. It is no different with laws in this country either. If you really don't like something you can lobby to have a change. If not enough people see things the way you do, then that is just the way it is, either accept it or keep trying to convince others a change is needed, we were given that right in the constitution, it doesn't get much more fair than that.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
When you state it as you have, it seems unreasonable to complain about the price. However. the point I would like to make is that when there are laws requiring it's use, the actual cost becomes entangled with the principle.

How much does it cost to obtain a copy of your state's motor vehicle code?

If there were more than one source of the laws, would it still be 80 bucks?

If the state passed a law requiring you to buy all your materials from Home Depot, how would you feel about that, even if their prices seemed reasonable?

I wish I could get 8 cents a day from every electrician.

As you have shown, it really isn't an unreasonable sum... when can I expect to start receiving checks from you?:)
Yes, I agree that the principle is what hurts, however: I've never really minded buying a new code book every 3 years, even when it was a struggle to come up with the money for all the different necessities (of course I never put back the pennies per day and was suddenly confronted with the full sum). But I always looked at the newest code book as a status symbol, I would try to be the first one to get the latest edition when it came out and would brag about it. Some of my peers would skip an edition and some may not have owned a code book (no inspection in my county until late '90s, some adjoining counties still don't do inspections).

But you won't be getting any checks from me unless you can give me a good reason!

kwired

Electron manager
Yes I consider tax as part of the cost, because tax is a part of what it costs. So if something is priced at $3.99, I don't think three dollars and change, I think $4.27 (four dollars plus over 1/4 of the fifth dollar!)

Interesting how the price of almost anything is either an even quarter amount or or ends with a "9". Funny how you can sell more of same item priced at $3.99, than if it were priced at $4.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.