Pv meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpd

has anybody ever seen or know a company that sells listed utility meters, I have been told by several companies that all utility meters are only required to comply with ANSI, utility meters that are under the control of a utility I have no control over, but the solar meters are not under the control of a utility and our administrative code requires all electrical equipment to be listed. does anybody know of any info that would exempt these solar meters from being listed, UL does have a standard for utility meters but I have never seen a UL listed meter.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
has anybody ever seen or know a company that sells listed utility meters, I have been told by several companies that all utility meters are only required to comply with ANSI, utility meters that are under the control of a utility I have no control over, but the solar meters are not under the control of a utility and our administrative code requires all electrical equipment to be listed. does anybody know of any info that would exempt these solar meters from being listed, UL does have a standard for utility meters but I have never seen a UL listed meter.

Aren't the solar meters part of the billing system for the utility? What do you plan to do with the readings if they don't come from the utility? I was under the impression the readings had to be from the importing utility in order to secure the REC's.

mpd

Aren't the solar meters part of the billing system for the utility? What do you plan to do with the readings if they don't come from the utility? I was under the impression the readings had to be from the importing utility in order to secure the REC's.

I never gave the meters a 2nd thought, because I was under the impression they were owned by the utility, but during a plan review a solar contractor sent in a spec on the PV meter and it got me thinking (got to stop that) and at the next solar inspection I asked the contractor who supplied the meters and he told me they supply the meters, they buy them by the case, and our administrative code requires all electrical equipment to be listed and none of these meters are. but after many phone calls it does not seem any listed meters exist, I wish they were owned by the utility then there would be no issue.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Shark, GE (both the re-labeled Sharks on GE's own kit), Landis+Gyr, etc. all make meters suitable for green tags.

Actual REC reporting rules vary -- some schemes will allow you to manually tell the utility what the meter says, with a periodic validation read. Others require AMR. It all depends.

About the only requirement I've encountered are that the meters must be revenue grade (duh), and that they be serial number traceable and sealable.

SIRSPARKSALOT

Here in NJ where SRECs are generated and reported, it is the responsibility of the system owner to provide a 'revenue grade' meter for their use. This is where they get their readings in order to report their SRECs. We have used TransData meters out of Texas.

This meter is not in lieu of a utility meter but, in addition to.

mpd

Here in NJ where SRECs are generated and reported, it is the responsibility of the system owner to provide a 'revenue grade' meter for their use. This is where they get their readings in order to report their SRECs. We have used TransData meters out of Texas.

This meter is not in lieu of a utility meter but, in addition to.

Do the Transdata meters have a listing label on them, all the meters I have checked are only required to meet the ANSI C12 standard, but they are not listed by NRTL and in NJ the administrative code requires all electrical equipment to be listed.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Itron is another company that makes suitable meters.

...and in NJ the administrative code requires all electrical equipment to be listed.

Listed by who? Why wouldn't ANSI be a suitable listing organization?

It's a certainty you aren't the first person in NJ to install a solar production meter. Maybe in your local AHJ, but not in NJ, ask around (on and offline) and find out what people have used.

BillK-AZ

Itron is another company that makes suitable meters.

Listed by who? Why wouldn't ANSI be a suitable listing organization?

ANSI is not a NRTL. ANSI develops standards and manages the development of standards by others such as IEEE, ASTM, UL, etc.

Listed means that a NRTL has tested an item using the criteria of a standard. UL both develops standards and tests items using the criteria of a standard. Other NRTLs can test and List items using the criteria of UL and other standards.

I have looked at several KWH meters I have and none of the conventional meters are Listed.

mpd

I have looked at several KWH meters I have and none of the conventional meters are Listed.

I am wondering if the majority of meters are sold to utilities which would put them outside the scope of the NEC & local jurisdiction & listing requirements, it just seems strange I have not been able to locate any listed meters.

mpd

Curiousity question: Is thes ALL electrical equipment, or just residential?

ice

residential, commercial & industrial, listed by a NRTL or a field evaluation by a NRTL, and in this case I don't think anybody is going to pay for field evaluations for PV meters

sunrun meter

sunrun meter

Were a solar company out of pa and md. We install alot of itron meters for are sunshine grants. Also their is a leasing program from a company of sunrun and they provide us with their meters.

Listed PV meter

Listed PV meter

Itron has had a set of meters tested by MET labs. They have certain special labels attached to them. The only problem is there is no ongoing certification of the meters at this time.

fmtjfw

KWH meters.

KWH meters.

When was the last time you saw a standard plug-in KWH meter fail in such a way as to produce a hazard to property or persons. (I'm not counting lightning or hammer induced failures)?

failing meters

failing meters

If I'm not mistaken , a Pennsylvania utility company installed smart meters which were responsible for at least 13 residential fires. That was the last published count. They supposedly stoppoed installing these meters.

fmtjfw

If I'm not mistaken , a Pennsylvania utility company installed smart meters which were responsible for at least 13 residential fires. That was the last published count. They supposedly stoppoed installing these meters.

Wow! I wonder if it is problems with meter sockets. I understand that "untrained" contractors are often used to do the changes, neither electricians, linemen, nor meter techs.

Another concern is that some of these meters contain remote controlled disconnects. There is not a lot of room in a meter for a 200A 2P contactor. (maybe they try zero-crossing timing).

In reference to my first post about "Std" KWH either mechanical or "dumb" electronic, they don't seem to catch fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.