Old work box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Somebody Carlon or Arlington makes a box for just this application. However in a pinch I

have put screws thru a standard box.

Yes I posted a picture of one earlier. :thumbsup:

d_1950.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Also why would it only be required on a screw that goes thru the box.
Because a screw passing through the interior of the box is much more likely to cause damage to the conductor insulation than a screw that only passes through the side of a box. How would this mounting screw that only passes through a single wall of a box be more likely to cause conductor damage then the device mounting screws or the cable clamp screws that are inside some boxes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Because a screw passing through the interior of the box is much more likely to cause damage to the conductor insulation than a screw that only passes through the side of a box. How would this mounting screw that only passes through a single wall of a box be more likely to cause conductor damage then the device mounting screws or the cable clamp screws that are inside some boxes.

Often times they are drywall screws and the edges are sharp and the wires as they are bent inward could catch on them. In reality I think it is unlikely.

stickboy1375

Can you use an old work box for new work?
I have a contractor that wants to start installing drywall on one side before all the electrical devices are installed and wired. Is this a code violation? I want to put a stop to this because it takes too many man hours to work both sides of the wall.
Thanks for your help

I dont see any advantage of this, labor will increase, frustration will double, and just the morale of the job will decline. I've been on very long jobs and they decide to insulate before we are finished, talk about not being a happy camper.

kwired

Electron manager
How often do we install wiring when exterior walls are already "one sided" with sheathing, siding, brick, stone, etc.? Nobody ever complains about how hard it is to run wiring or inspect wiring in these walls but drywall on one side of an interior wall is a big problem??

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
How often do we install wiring when exterior walls are already "one sided" with sheathing, siding, brick, stone, etc.? Nobody ever complains about how hard it is to run wiring or inspect wiring in these walls but drywall on one side of an interior wall is a big problem??

Stickboy is right; doing outside here and there is one thing, but a large qty. why is it ok to make my job harder to make your job less hard?

kwired

Electron manager
Stickboy is right; doing outside here and there is one thing, but a large qty. why is it ok to make my job harder to make your job less hard?

Why is it ok to make my job easier at someone elses expense or added difficulty? This is exactly why some trades on some projects don't get along. A good general contractor (most people that hang out here seem to think there is no such thing) will find out what everyones needs are and try to arrange compromises that makes everyone happy.

I have many times in past been on jobs where room where a furnace (or other large equipment) will be placed gets drywall put up behind the furnace before the furnace and ductwork is placed there making the drywall difficult to install. If an inspector has a problem with something like - that especially if back side of the wall is still open for inspection -- he is plain and simple a jerk.

Putting exterior sheathing on is very common around here even before roof framing is installed - it helps stabilize the walls. It also helps secure the building from copper thieves by enclosing it.

stickboy1375

Why is it ok to make my job easier at someone elses expense or added difficulty? This is exactly why some trades on some projects don't get along. A good general contractor (most people that hang out here seem to think there is no such thing) will find out what everyones needs are and try to arrange compromises that makes everyone happy.

I have many times in past been on jobs where room where a furnace (or other large equipment) will be placed gets drywall put up behind the furnace before the furnace and ductwork is placed there making the drywall difficult to install. If an inspector has a problem with something like - that especially if back side of the wall is still open for inspection -- he is plain and simple a jerk.

Putting exterior sheathing on is very common around here even before roof framing is installed - it helps stabilize the walls. It also helps secure the building from copper thieves by enclosing it.

I think were talking about two different things....

Hendrix

I do realize this and I personally do not have a problem, for the most part, with the contractor one siding the wall. I was just mentioning the fact that some municipalities in my area do not allow it. There is no code violation as far as I know. Maybe the inspectors in those towns have a quota on the # of steps allowed per inspection :)
Anything over 25 steps is an additional $.50 per step.:lol:

patbet

334.30(B) (1)

334.30(B) (1)

My interpretation of the code is no. The artical states:
Nonmetalic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable is:
(1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in FINISHED buildings or structures and SUPPORTING IS IMPRACTICABLE.

I don't think I would consider new walls part of a finished building and it is not impracticable (that's how it's spelled in my 2011 NEC book) to support the cable before the drywall is up. I would not allow the drywall to go in before getting my rough-in inspected.

kwired

Electron manager
My interpretation of the code is no. The artical states:
Nonmetalic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable is:
(1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in FINISHED buildings or structures and SUPPORTING IS IMPRACTICABLE.

I don't think I would consider new walls part of a finished building and it is not impracticable (that's how it's spelled in my 2011 NEC book) to support the cable before the drywall is up. I would not allow the drywall to go in before getting my rough-in inspected.

You never run into changes or additions after the drywall has already been installed, even though it is still initial construction phase of the building?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You never run into changes or additions after the drywall has already been installed, even though it is still initial construction phase of the building?
IMO, changes made before the building is completed would be a CO and the drywall removal and reinstallation would need to be figured into the CO pricing. Depending on how extensive the changes are it could possibly need to go back to plan review.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
IMO, changes made before the building is completed would be a CO and the drywall removal and reinstallation would need to be figured into the CO pricing. Depending on how extensive the changes are it could possibly need to go back to plan review.

Roger

Wow, I must work for the wrong clients. If there was no way to make a code compliant install without removing drywall that is understandable- most of the time there is a way.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Wow, I must work for the wrong clients. If there was no way to make a code compliant install without removing drywall that is understandable- most of the time there is a way.
It doesn't matter who you work for, it all depends on how the building department sees it. IMO, if this is a new building under construction it does not need to be utilizing renovation methods.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.