Above ground swimming pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to swimming pools and I'm having a hard time understanding the equipotential bonding for an above ground swimming pool and how exactly to install the perimeter bond. Do I need to drive more than on rod ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ryan, don't feel bad the epb is very confusing to many of us and is often not done correctly.

If this is an aboveground pool up to 42" deep then no epb is needed.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

your # 8 solid bare copper ( one piece) gets tied to the reinforcing steel all the way around the pool, then you pull it back to the sub panel feeding the pool equipment. if you have ladders, or diving boards, etc, all of those steel inserts need to get bonded as well. look in the handbook at the supply house if you need a "visual". that gives you a good overview of it. lots of folks do it differently in different areas. fpn says you need not pull # 8 back to remote panel, here, it's done that way. (fpn is not code, informational only)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
your # 8 solid bare copper ( one piece) gets tied to the reinforcing steel all the way around the pool, then you pull it back to the sub panel feeding the pool equipment. if you have ladders, or diving boards, etc, all of those steel inserts need to get bonded as well. look in the handbook at the supply house if you need a "visual". that gives you a good overview of it. lots of folks do it differently in different areas. fpn says you need not pull # 8 back to remote panel, here, it's done that way. (fpn is not code, informational only)

Pedro the #8 does not need to go back to a panel. It goes back via the egc of the pool pump

Jerseydaze

how do you get the depth correct ? most of these pools are on grass which is pretty uneven 4-6" is ridiculous for above ground pools. This rule has just lead to more extension cords being slung out of windows.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
how do you get the depth correct ? most of these pools are on grass which is pretty uneven 4-6" is ridiculous for above ground pools. This rule has just lead to more extension cords being slung out of windows.
If the pool meets the criteria for a permanent pool than I don't see an issue in getting the epb 4-6" below grade on uneven ground.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
There probably wasn't any. Same when buying a generator and not thinking about the transfer switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.