shallow floor boxes for concrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding floor boxes on marble floors (B4 marble is laid) I can't cut existing slabs due to post tension cables. Mud up runs 1 to 2 inches, and finished floor is another inch. Any suggestions on a product that works in this scenario?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Adding floor boxes on marble floors (B4 marble is laid) I can't cut existing slabs due to post tension cables. Mud up runs 1 to 2 inches, and finished floor is another inch. Any suggestions on a product that works in this scenario?

i'm assuming it's been floated already....

the hilti demo hammer has an accessory that is a 2" square meat tenderizer, or bushing hammer.
carbide nubbies on a plate.... if i had to do this, i'd get a layout on where they would like the boxes,
and get a milwualkee stud and steel locator... they are about 9" long, with wheels, and are pretty
good at finding steel accurately. i've used one right alongside a guy untrasounding for post tension
cables, and we were getting the same layout... i wouldn't sawcut from the milwualkee layout, but i'd find a piece
of clear concrete, and use the bush hammer to go down a bit... it' stays pretty level, and you can do
a tidy job.... there are floor boxes with brass covers that fit on a 4s box, and are concrete rated.
so they are only 1 5/8" deep.... i'd bush the thing out till i was 1/4" below finished marble, and then
head for a wall bushing out an inch deep, and use 1/2" emt with concrete tight fittings, marking the
steel so you can drill for one hole straps to hold it tight... where i had to cross metal, i'd chip it out
carefully by hand, with a hammer and cold chisel.

this isn't brain surgery, but i'd treat it like it is. charge accordingly. add a bunch of money so you
can take your time with this. if it was me, i'd do it myself, to be honest.

if you break a post tension cable, current replacement costs are about $85,000 i was told by a
project manager who had one broken on a TI buildout.

hilti makes some pretty good tools for looking inside dry concrete. they can be rented sometimes,
they are expensive to own.

i just quoted a little bit of work that involves drilling three holes in a marble fascia on the side of a
building. hilti makes a tool that you put a transmitter on one side of a wall, and it tells you within an
eighth of an inch where you are at on the other side of the wall, up to 4' thick. stupid thing is $1k.
there are cheaper ones... doesn't matter.... if you screw up a 4x10 foot sheet of stone on the side
of a building 30' in the air, does whatever you saved make a difference?

you are in the same boat. price accordingly.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member

The old metal concrete boxes were pretty shallow. Can a Carlon box be cut that short?

Status
Not open for further replies.