Dimmer toggle switches and Arc Fault breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search and did not come up with much in the forum on this subject.

Was wondering if anyone has run in to a situation with Dimmer toggle switches causing arc fault breakers to trip?

Thanks in Advance.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If you are having problems with them there has been concern about nuisance tripping with dimmed loads. There was a post that claimed max dimmed load at 1000 watts. I had heard that Lutron had confirmed this.
Pure conjecture but there have been complaints.
Toggle dimmers will use similar dimming circuits as slides. Some brands are different.

I believe it will. There are multiple rooms within a new home I finished up about six weeks ago in which the AFCI's are nuisance tripping. I had absolutely no issues the entire time I was in the home trimming it out. Checked all the routine areas where problems usually exist. Left the lights on for about 45 minutes while I was in the home doing some other tid bits and of course no issues. I left and started to go through the details of each circuit in my head. That is when I flagged the dimmers as possible culprits.

Only thing is the 1000w limit. I will have to recheck but not many if any of the rooms will even come close to this amount. Two rooms in particular are LED, but one of those rooms I will have to do the calculations to see exactly how much wattage is available on that particular circuit.

I'll dig a bit, planned on removing the dimmers in a couple of the rooms and replacing them with standard toggles and seeing what comes of it. Guess we'll see.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.