stacking lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This is not really an NEC question, but there is no place to put an equipment question.

I have gotten to the point where I usually spec compression type lugs in lieu of mechanical conenctors. I just think they work more securely.

but stacking them has turned out to be an issue. there are mechancial connectors made to stack, but Panduit does not make any compression connectors that are made to stack as best I can tell. Our friendly Panduit saleslady suggested using a straight lug, then a washer, than a 45 lug if they needed to be stacked. that just does not seem like the greatest answer to me.

any better answers other than going to mechanical lugs?

kwired

Electron manager
This is not really an NEC question, but there is no place to put an equipment question.

I have gotten to the point where I usually spec compression type lugs in lieu of mechanical conenctors. I just think they work more securely.

but stacking them has turned out to be an issue. there are mechancial connectors made to stack, but Panduit does not make any compression connectors that are made to stack as best I can tell. Our friendly Panduit saleslady suggested using a straight lug, then a washer, than a 45 lug if they needed to be stacked. that just does not seem like the greatest answer to me.

More studs to install the lugs onto:happyyes:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Burndy and Ilsco both make stacking adapters. Richards makes an lug with an offset to permit stacking them without using adapters or spacers.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's a combination of straight and offset lugs. I can't see how a washer in between two lugs would be as good as having the lugs flat against each other where their surface contact area would be maximized. I believe that the lugs in the photo are Ilsco.

20080209_67.JPG

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Incidentally, why are lugs and connectors exempt from SCCR issues while terminals and distribution blocks often have to have current limiting fuses to comply. They do not look any different to me.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
don't get a deal from any of them though.
Why is that a problem, do you by the material for the contractor?

BTW, I do get a deal but I have to make it known I'm putting my list out to more than one manufacturer or supplier.

Roger

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Incidentally, why are lugs and connectors exempt from SCCR issues while terminals and distribution blocks often have to have current limiting fuses to comply. They do not look any different to me.
A device's SCCR, or its AIC, includes its terminations.

As a device, a distribution block needs an SCCR, even though it is basically 100% terminations.

templdl

Is the assembly UL listed? If so then it's a none issue from my perspective and get on with life.

If you take that assembly and place it under load and varify the temperature rise of the terminations as tested to be within the temperature limitations and it is UL listed as such where do we go from there?
If the assembly was not listed then in my opinion one would have to consider if the lug manufacturer listed their lugs to be used as such.

But, the transformer manufacturer with almost all certainty has a UL listing for the assembly as shown as a result of UL testing that was done.

Often times a control assembly will include wiring that is smaller that one would anticipate when using the NEC wire sizing requirements. The AHJ has been known to red tag enclosed control based upon the wire sizes used when in fact it is a UL listed assembly where where the NEC doesn't apply.

I would be reluctant to use the termination method shown in the picture if it wasn't UL listed but was a field assembly.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Why is that a problem, do you by the material for the contractor?

BTW, I do get a deal but I have to make it known I'm putting my list out to more than one manufacturer or supplier.

Roger

We don't usually supply material for the field contractor, but do use a lot of lugs of various types inside our panels.

The deals the various manufacturers are willing to cut over their normal pricing can be very substantial if you use enough of one brand to make it worth it to the manufacturer. They don't care if you buy 20 contactors much, but if you buy them by the skid load you can get some really nice deals.

tkb

Is the assembly UL listed? If so then it's a none issue from my perspective and get on with life.

If you take that assembly and place it under load and varify the temperature rise of the terminations as tested to be within the temperature limitations and it is UL listed as such where do we go from there?
If the assembly was not listed then in my opinion one would have to consider if the lug manufacturer listed their lugs to be used as such.

But, the transformer manufacturer with almost all certainty has a UL listing for the assembly as shown as a result of UL testing that was done.

Often times a control assembly will include wiring that is smaller that one would anticipate when using the NEC wire sizing requirements. The AHJ has been known to red tag enclosed control based upon the wire sizes used when in fact it is a UL listed assembly where where the NEC doesn't apply.

I would be reluctant to use the termination method shown in the picture if it wasn't UL listed but was a field assembly.

You are crazy.
That picture shows a perfectly good installation.
All of the lugs look like they were used as per their listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.