30-day metering

Status
Not open for further replies.

necnotevenclose

I'm working on a TI for an existing office building that has been vacated. Based on the scope I will need to add load. If there was a tenant there and I needed to add load it makes sense to do 30-day metering to justify the load can be added, but for an unoccupied building I don't think 30-day metering will prove to me that the existing electrical infrastructure can support any added loads. Is there another way I can determine/prove that the existing system will support added loads?:?

necnotevenclose

thank you for your reply. As far as load calcs there have been enough modifications that the load calcs on the as-built drawings I have are out-of-date. As far as a survey, that is a lot of circuit tracing which the owner does not have funds for.

Anyone here a magician?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would say do the 30-day study, and apply a factor to the final results to account for the low occupancy of the present building. I know this is essentially a guess, but I think it is the best available option you have. The form that my state has us submit has that factor included in the calculation. There is also a factor to account for the the possibility that your measurements were taken during a time of year that has a lower load than other times of the year. Since the form has to be signed and sealed by a professional engineer, the state's plan reviewers tend not to question the factors that we choose to include in the calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.