Support interval for fplr cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowen117

I was hoping someone could help me pinpoint specific articles in either the nfpa 70 or nfpa 72. I am running fplr cable for a power limited fire alarm system in a suspended ceiling, free air, and was unsure of the code requirements for straping and support of the cable. I have looked through both code books but obviously i missed something. HELP:blink:

nhfire77

I was hoping someone could help me pinpoint specific articles in either the nfpa 70 or nfpa 72. I am running fplr cable for a power limited fire alarm system in a suspended ceiling, free air, and was unsure of the code requirements for straping and support of the cable. I have looked through both code books but obviously i missed something. HELP:blink:

You are not missing anything there isn't one.

Personally I wouldn't go more than 2-3 feet (such as from bar joist to a stub in a concealed area. unless I am going perpendicular to snow bracing or bar joist ceiling. And a shudder to think I would have to do that. I conceal fpl 99.99999% of the time, or run it in pipe.

If you cannot conceal no more than 4-5, is a good practice. How are you supporting J hooks on allthread? Drop wire? Criss Angel magic kit?

Don't forget the almighty local AHJ requirements and their interpretation of neat and workman like

Rowen117

Yea i didnt think there was anything which gives a specific. I am doing a retro-fit. The kicker is the old system must stay operational throughout the project. I am only to remove and replace the NAC circuits. So digging into the old conduit runs to get in my new wire in is impractical in some points. There is J-hooks and even cable-tray in most of my hallways and main corridoors but cutting across these to my devices is the problem, and some hallways that have no such means of support. It is in a occupied health facilty and a multi-floor, concrete building at that. So drilling in new supports could be very problamatic due to dust and noise concerns. I of course not only want to be legal but take pride in my work as well. I feel there is really only rules telling me what NOT to do rather than what is allowed. Like article 760.143 for instance. Anyway the cable will always be concealed in a drop-ceiling, and trying to find things to strap it to, let alone at what interval is a mystery. The code tells us specifics for other types of cable?(like romex, MC, SER, etc.) So why not fplr?

nhfire77

Yea i didnt think there was anything which gives a specific. I am doing a retro-fit. The kicker is the old system must stay operational throughout the project. I am only to remove and replace the NAC circuits. So digging into the old conduit runs to get in my new wire in is impractical in some points. There is J-hooks and even cable-tray in most of my hallways and main corridoors but cutting across these to my devices is the problem, and some hallways that have no such means of support. It is in a occupied health facilty and a multi-floor, concrete building at that. So drilling in new supports could be very problamatic due to dust and noise concerns. I of course not only want to be legal but take pride in my work as well. I feel there is really only rules telling me what NOT to do rather than what is allowed. Like article 760.143 for instance. Anyway the cable will always be concealed in a drop-ceiling, and trying to find things to strap it to, let alone at what interval is a mystery. The code tells us specifics for other types of cable?(like romex, MC, SER, etc.) So why not fplr?

Well cable tray to the device or into a wall or stub, Im assuming, that not sloppy even its 5-6 feet if cable is permissible. I would not let it sag, if possible, but that's me. If there isn't a prohibition or a job spec, go for it. when it doubt, do what you know is right.

Remember the NEC is permissive, unless prohibited, you can do it, with a few exceptions. Of course 72 is prescriptive and you have to do what it says, within its parameters, engineering judgements/plans aside.

If, you care enough to ask you are probably doing it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.