push on breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe the code mentions them. As long as they are listed for the use then there should not be an issue. What kind of breakers are these. The old Push-a-matics?

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Load center push on breaker unlike bolt on; is what I think he is asking about.
If I recall Pushmatic are bolted in.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
One of the most popular commercial and industrial breaker panels boards is the Square D I-Line family. This family is only available as a 'plug-on' style even thought it has breakers that go from 15A up to 1200A.

Neither the NEC nor UL define residential, commercial, or industrial for panelboard construction. Loadcenters is also not a defined term even though most of us think of 'cheap residential' when we hear it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Load center push on breaker unlike bolt on; is what I think he is asking about.
If I recall Pushmatic are bolted in.

I think you are correct in that the OP is talking about push on vs bolt on breakers. Generally speaker commercial jobs use bolt in but that is usually a spec by the engineers rather than a code issue. I did a small retail store and used regular push on style breakers.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I think you are correct in that the OP is talking about push on vs bolt on breakers. Generally speaker commercial jobs use bolt in but that is usually a spec by the engineers rather than a code issue. I did a small retail store and used regular push on style breakers.

Yeah, it's just a engineer or customer spec unless a higher AIC rating is required. Square D makes a panel (NQOD) that takes either type. They also make a 277/480 volt panel that does the same, I think it is a NEHB designation? But have rarely seen plugins used in it.

DARUSA

Pull-off disconnect with fuses may be?
If it is what you are talking about yes, it is commonly use when AIC cordination is required ( 3rd device)

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah, it's just a engineer or customer spec unless a higher AIC rating is required. Square D makes a panel (NQOD) that takes either type. They also make a 277/480 volt panel that does the same, I think it is a NEHB designation? But have rarely seen plugins used in it.

NEHB was discontinued at least 10-15 years ago. It was plug on/bolt on style IIRC. I know there were plug on breakers - the EH series I think. Today they have the NF series panelboard and it accepts bolt on breakers only.

Status
Not open for further replies.