Intermittent labor needs, how to fill per diem that may become full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

How do YOU add short term labor for a surge in work?

You cannot guarantee steady 40 hours each week, and it's not cost effective to 'borrow' other shop's men at their standard rates. The goal is to put another van on the road, but we're not quite there. The help I need doesn't need to be a j-man or master, a first year apprentice would be fine. I don't want to string someone along, know what I mean?

(as funny as it is, labor ready won't cut it)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
My son just got a job where the hours and the days change all the time so here is my take.

Even if you can't give them 40 hours a week, at least give them a steady schedule, say they work 7-12 four days a week. At least them they can make plans. It's not really fair to put someone on the payroll and tell them that you'll call when you need them, you know give them eight hours one day and then nothing for the next two, etc.

Now with what I've said you might have to spend a little more time planning out your days, but I would think that if the guy has to work til one or two a few days he wouldn't mind.

Rewire

We are always looking for qualified help I keep a list of people to call if needed. In todays economy a job is a job and most guys if you are up front about the hours will work. I usually put my tools on to fill in as needed when it gets to the point that I cant do my job and wear tools I hire. We are at four vans with a goal of eight in the next two years. My job is marketing sales and promotions so I cant spend alot of time with tools on or the vans will run out of work. My field manager has a son that works part time maybe one of your men know someone.

masterinbama

So you have 2 one man vans plus your own truck?

You are close to where you could hire an apprentice, give him a small pick up truck and let him float and help your J-Men. And chase parts while idle.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Have him clean shop or trucks, get familiar with material inventory, etc in the down time to keep him busy if you have too.

Parts runners are a big labor saver too.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
We call the hall and get a guy on a "hit" it can last 2 weeks; he then will go back to the hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.