wire tracer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

Another thread got me thinking about wire tracer options. what are the best ones for trcing in walls and underground live or dead cicuits. Does anyone have a good overall model or am I going to need two or more tools.

cadpoint

For interior, I've had good luck with some Sperry products, but it is limited to 120V. I also used a radio last time, I mention that because I could also hear the transmittion signal within the broadcast of the radio. I was just running circuits from the panel not chasing down the wall but the principle apply's, IE a power cord on the same circuit.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I use an older model Amprobe that works very well, deadly accurate when tracing breakers or wires. I have heard the new models are not as good because they use a different technology that everybody else is using. We buy our guys a middle of the road Greenlee tracer, which works decent, but is nowhere near as accurate as the old Amprobe models.

wolfman56

Take a good look at the Ideal 61-956.
I've even traced underground cable with it, though it's not as good as the ones designed for underground.
I followed a run about 150' through a gas station parking lot and found the break that a landscaper caused when redoing a sidewalk.

I spent a year reading threads and talking to guys at the supply house etc. And I landed on the 61-956.

RW

iwire

Staff member
I am a big fan of the Amprobe AT-2004 kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Amprobe-AT-2004-Advanced-Wire-Tracer/dp/B000L9UF78

51n%2B1-bSshL.jpg

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Another thread got me thinking about wire tracer options. what are the best ones for trcing in walls and underground live or dead cicuits. Does anyone have a good overall model or am I going to need two or more tools.

i use two.....

amprobe CT-326B

20 year old design, and seriously good.
was $900 20 years ago, when amprobe got bought a couple years
back, the price was jacked up $200 overnight. corporate buyouts suck.

ideal 61-958 is the second one i got a year ago...

about $1,300 out the door.... good unit....
you can clamp the CT on a conductor, and put a signal
into a wire that you can't get to the far end of....
like a broken pipe in a slab.

Rewire

Take a good look at the Ideal 61-956.
I've even traced underground cable with it, though it's not as good as the ones designed for underground.
I followed a run about 150' through a gas station parking lot and found the break that a landscaper caused when redoing a sidewalk.

I spent a year reading threads and talking to guys at the supply house etc. And I landed on the 61-956.

RW

I am finding this model in the 7-8 hundred range. We have alot of buried UF cable shallow and breakes are common that would be its primary use.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The best underground tracer for the money is a Tempo model 501 Tracker II, I have put it up against one of a locator service tracers, and had the same results. The only drawback is it cannot be used on live circuits. I use it all the time finding breaks in parking lot lighting. I think we pay something like $400 for them.

wolfman56

I am finding this model in the 7-8 hundred range. We have alot of buried UF cable shallow and breakes are common that would be its primary use.

I bought my 61-956 on Ebay for $400, you can get a good deal just don't buy from an Ebay store, buy it from someone who's tool it was.
the 954, 956, 958, are all the same technologies, just different bells and whistles.

I think you would find it satisfactory. The key to all the tracers is setting up the best grounding for your situation, it really makes a big difference.
I was amazed that I found the wire under the parking lot, we also had the similar Amprobe tracer that it found it also, along with my old greenlee 2011 tracer.
I think they all will work with underground pretty good. The Ideal seems easiest to use. I'd sell you my Greenlee 2011, for $100 but you need to know, everybody hates the auto-ranging feature

RW

Status
Not open for further replies.